EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 10-30-2007, 03:30 AM
A Weald Wolf
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle
Exclamation Ya know what? it's true what they say...

Back up your files before upgrading your OS!

let's start at the beginning of this leason..

-Last Week, I moved my EQ files over to my C drive because my secondary drive was getting alittle crowded and I thought the game may run better from the primary drive.
-Tonight I decided to try the WindowsVista update I got with my new computer (express upgrade, came with XP): of course, Vista not working too good with my SLI 1gb video card. Getting the Bluescreen of Death for the first time since win98!
-Oh Well.. time to format the drive and go back to WinXP
-Wait, did I mention that I moved all my EQ files to the C drive? DOH!!
-Format the C drive and remember about my EQ files ONLY AFTERward - all gone, including my original Photoshop (PSD) graphic files for my UI design (beats head against rock).

Oh well
If I need to do any design work outside of what I've already done, I guess I start over from stratch.
Unread 10-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Did you already write data to the disk?

Just partitioning/formatting it you can still get the data back if you mount the disk as a 2nd drive and then use data recovery software like R-Studio. I did that once to a HD that had a ton family pictures on it. Thank god the software was able to recover them all.

Now I use Sync Toy (Free MS utility)and have anything important sync'd to other computers on the network.
Unread 10-30-2007, 04:04 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Exclamation Try this instead

What Dolby said. But two options really. The easier one with better chances of success appears to be to just undelete the files from your secondary drive (where you moved them off from). Any undelete tool will do the job, I'm usually using the freeware one from Winternals (now Microsoft).

And by the way: Why is everybody re-formatting their drives all the time anway? Next time you install a new Windows just keep the old one on the disk so you can easily go back to it without having to do any installations at all...
Unread 10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
A Weald Wolf
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle
Unhappy

Thanks for the tip.. but looks like the data's been "overwritten" or corrupted beyond recovery