EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 05-25-2005, 03:29 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Default Overlapping elements

EDIT: removed attachment (see below)

I'm trying to modify the player window to use the concentration bar as the casting progress bar and to temporarily overwrite one's name with the name of the spell being cast. I had something similar to this in EQ1 and loved it because I could keep all my attention on one part of my screen.

I'm attaching my UI if anyone is able to offer a suggestion. I used several different player windows with casting bars in them as a base/examples but none of them place the bars over other dynamic data.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.
Lange

Last edited by Lange : 05-31-2005 at 04:31 PM. Reason: More inclusive title
Unread 05-27-2005, 11:28 AM
A Griffon

I managed to get the casting progress bar to show up inside the concentration bubbles and a background to overwrite my name in the player window but was unable to get the spell names or failure messages to show up there.

Also, the concentration bubbles were never visible once I put the progress bar over them. I'm playing with the AlwaysOnTop command to try and fix that.

Anyone able to give some advice on the text (spell name / failure) issues I'm having? I'm at a loss.
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_mainhud_player.xml (8.7 KB, 335 views)
Unread 05-27-2005, 11:45 AM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

AlwaysOnTop is not the way to go here..

What you need is to use OnShow / OnHide (possibly even on activate etc)

Interesting idea likes... I'll take a look
Unread 05-27-2005, 12:58 PM
A Griffon

Cool. Thanks.

BTW: The player window elements should be solid. They are from Taco Man's Simple Player Window. I may modify them a bit later on (e.g. move the numbers to the side to give more horizontal room for the spell names) but thought I had better start with the basics first.
Unread 05-27-2005, 02:01 PM
A Griffon

Default 95% fixed

Oks removed "/"s that were not needed
The font Zap12 didnt exist
Too many pages in the casting page for it to work in this manner
and a few other little things also I dont recall....

Oks this works now... BUT

I have added a page called "Bc" all it is surposed to do is blank out the player name when you are casting... I added dynamic data to it in an atempt to get it to show and hide along with the casting text .. but have not had time to test that bit yet.

Also you will have to mess with the fail text as this is also the text that says your inventory is overflowing etc the player name is stopping that from being shown all the time when you do have an overflow.... You will have to play with the OnShow etc to get this working properly along with the player name

Apart from those little bugs its working......

Sorry I dont have time atm to mess with it anymore but this is a good start for you to 'tweak it'

Please let me see how this turns out when your done, Its a neat idea
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_mainhud_player.xml (8.1 KB, 289 views)
Unread 05-27-2005, 02:09 PM
A Griffon

Wow. Much appreciated, Laffs.

I'll play with this this weekend. I want to see if I can get the breath bar in there (over the mana bar most likely) too, but my skills just weren't up to par so the help / tutelage is definately most helpful.

Will post what I find / come up with.
Unread 05-31-2005, 04:53 PM
A Griffon

MODS: I changed the title to try to make this more inclusive to the help topic at hand (and applicable to this forum). This thread was originally posted as a question but has since become more of a pre-beta for a new player window. Go ahead and move it if you feel it's more appropriate over there. Thanks!

Alright, I played with this some more over the weekend. The casting failure information has to be in its own page that references /GameData.Spells.Failure. I got that to work and made a layout change. I didn't like the spell name or info over the name because when I'd go to cast a mez with my enchanter, I'd want to confirm that autoattack was off so I added current LOC to the bottom of the window and put the spell name/fail message there instead of over the name.

The problem:
I'm not sure if it was after I added the LOC info or immediately after I got spell failure to work, but the concentration bubbles stopped showing up again (the data is still coming through to the OnHover though).

So far, this is what I've thought of to try:
  • 1. Could pixel overlap be causing it?
    Status: Checked. There is and was no overlap of the spell failure and concentration borders - just of the overall casting and player page borders.
    2. Could it be a simple matter of the order in which the elements are referenced? Could simply move the casting page below the conc references.
    Status: changed but untested. Does concentration show now? Does casting info? All of it? Some? Which elements?
    3. search for erroneous 'alwaysontop' flags (I had tried these earlier)
    Status: Done. It's correct as-is; only referenced by the conc bubbles.
    4. Does it work without spell fail but with the loc? Vice versa?
    5. Failing all else, make the casting bar a thin line on its own just above the spell name.
    Status: last resort. Does this work? If so, does this prove that certain game elements cannot overlap?

EDIT: Adding the updated xml. This is rearranged and untested vs. the one I was using yesterday (where all elements worked except the conc bubbles).
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_mainhud_player.xml (9.0 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by Lange : 05-31-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Unread 05-31-2005, 05:21 PM
A Griffon

Conc bubbles ... could be the conc efflector is goosed again that happens and I have never found out what breaks with it at times after you been using UI builder what I normaly do is just grab the one from the default player window and drop it in my mod..

Also the Z order could be stopping them if you have a page that is above them in the tree list... Not sure if they are effected by Z order likes somethings are other are not...

Either way one or both of the above should fix it
Unread 05-31-2005, 09:57 PM
A Griffon

As weird as this sounds, the conc bubbles do seem to be goosed up as you put it.

I started by trying the whole thing over again. It didn't work so I removed the entire casting page and conc still didn't work. I then removed conc and the casting page worked fine (there were only a few instances where the casting page didn't work - while everything seemed to be interfering with conc, conc wasn't interfering with anything).

I then recreated autoattack, ranged and all conc elements and tried moving them above casting.. still nothing.

Anyway this went on for a bit and I decided to start over from scratch. I downloaded Taco-man's player window mod again and tested it. Yup, everything is working fine. I tried to expand the window and throw the LOC in there.. no go.

So then I went back to the base (downloaded fresh) and *only* tried to expand the window without adding any new elements (all I did was add 0,20 to all background elements and pages, where appropriate) - boom. No conc.

LOL. To be honest, I think I need a break from this mod, but I just don't get it. I can't see how expanding the window a few pixels should kill the conc.