EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-07-2009, 01:04 PM
A Fallen Diplomat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default New Map.....Like or Dislike.....Pro's/Con's.

The new map is gorgeous, and I appreciate all the hard work put into redoing it. But does anyone else have a like/dislike relationship with the new map? Here are the pro's and con's after useing it for a few months.

New Map
Pro's:
1. It is beautiful. Very colorful.
2. Great feature to zoom in and out.
3. More detailed so easier to see a path or a building in main cities or major zones (supposedly, personally I thought the other one was easier).
4. Better pathing (supposedly, see no difference).
5. New mini map. Mini map with flashing arrow pointing you in the right direction.

Con's:
1. This one is huge compared to the old one and yes I know the new one has a mini map but the old one you could have open and still see exactly where you were going and not run into walls, mountains, rocks, things that would like to kill you, etc.
2. The mini map is just another ui piece you have to try to find a home for, takes up more space, blocks view and have to get use to.
3. You either have to have the mini map opened or closed. You can't just push a button or two to toggle between open and close you have to go all the way into options to toggle it which is really annoying.
4. The main map's size can be adjusted to smalller but then you can't see path, clear, etc. And you have to constantly adjust the size it to put in waypoints/coordinates. And the waypoint/Coordinate window is way to small.
5. Can not get rid of the dots just to find a named, or a the little blue dots to go through to find a specific quest or Npc.
6. Half the time you can't find what your looking for because all the little pixel books, crossing swords, arrows look exactly the same and mix in with the back ground.
7. Harder to find zone entrance's.
8. Won't really have a choice will have to use new map system because the old one won't get updated which means no new maps for new zones.
9. Very confuseing to use.
10. Seems like it is alot harder to go from map to typing in chat. If you have just put in a coordinate you have to click on the main screen to get out of map before pushing M to close the map window or you will put m in the waypoint/coordinate window which screws everything up.

Old Map
Pro's:
1. Could toggle the dot pixels to find what you are looking for.
2. Not to big so you could have it open and follow the map and still see where your going.
3. Could easily type or paste in waypoints/coordiantes.
4. Able to put in cordinates without haveing to constantly adjust map size.
5 Easily could find zone entrances, couldn't miss the giant bright yellow circle.
6. Easier to read the dots because they don't all look the same. Well they were the same dot just nice and bright and different colors.
7. Don't have to be a genius to figure it out, just nice plain simple and easy to use.

Con's
1. Not as pretty.
2. Can't zoom in and out.
3 Pathing not as accurate. (supposedly, see no difference.)
4. No mini map with flashing arrow showing you the direction to go.
5. Can't see roads or buildings as easy. (supposedly, personally I thought the other one was easier.)
6. Old verison will become obsolete (regardless if we like it or not) and no new maps will be added to it.

To me the pro's of the old map win. Personally I would have rathered seen them update the old map verison and make adjustments. Like add the zoom feature, add the mini map as long as we can push a key or two to open and close the mini map window. At least give us the choice and keep updateing the old verison. We can choose from hundreds of differnt UI's so why can't we choose a different map ui as well?

For 5 years the old map worked and maybe it is just an adjutment period but all I keep thinking is what my grandfather use to tell me (in his southern farmer accent):
"If it ain't broke don't fix it....You can tweek it, change it's color, put duct tape on it, adjust it but don't throw it out and replace it because nothing is as good as what you already have. Newer don't make it better."

My grandfather was a wise old man....LOL, a drunk grumpy old man but still wise.

Last edited by PrincessAriel : 01-07-2009 at 01:08 PM.