Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone
Default A Thought...

Is it possible to increase the size of the map and make it user-movable inside a pane, so that in essence it would be a zoomed-in version of hte map that the user could drag around, much like something like google maps?

Not asking if anyone has the time to do this, asking if this is even possible with the way the map places the character and POIs (If it is, it's something I'll be trying to do).
Unread 01-30-2007, 07:24 PM
aka Mook
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

It would be possible on user-created maps only, and it would probably make the whole system not work properly with SOE maps if we did it. There would have to be a few substantial changes on their end in the way icon widgets are sent down.
Unread 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

OK, now how 'bout this...

1 - I could hide the icons they send down by default no?

2 - What would prevent me from doing it on the maps they provide by default... can't I override them?
Unread 01-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis

One could create a mod or even a plugin where it would re size the CityMap, ZoneMap images and the map image in overlay and allow them to be user movable. However none of the POI's would be positioned right and would have to be hid. If it was a plugin for eq2map you would have to fight a searies of code that is triggered when the map changes, is shown and hid. You'd also have to fight any skin script that a modder may of supplied in the skin files.
Unread 01-31-2007, 05:30 AM
aka Mook

Server: Nektulos

Ah. We had this discussion and tried a few things almost 2 years ago, so I'll skip to the point.

First problem: The zone fog didn't resize with the map page. Iirc it gets deleted, in fact, so you'd just have pure black each time you logged in. You could use one of Zonx's tricks to hide it completely, I guess, but you'd never be able to see where you have and haven't gone, just like dungeon maps. But at least it would be consistent.

Second problem: As for the icons needing repositioning, all we'd really have to do is add the property PackLocation="cpc,cpc" to all of them, and they'd reposition fine on resize. However, unless SOE did the same with all server-controlled icons, you wouldn't be able to see them, and that includes the player marker and groupmember markers. We could override with our own maps (like how SOE added zones for the Peat Bog and other newbie zones but no one sees them if they have EQ2MAP running) and recreate the static POIs, but not the dynamic ones. Heck, Talyn's Minimap doesn't do resizing, and the player/groupmember icons don't get repositioned properly anymore.
Unread 01-31-2007, 08:51 AM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen

Haha I tried that as well, trying to make it like the fetish resizeable and ran into that problem while making a stand-alone minimap. I was able to make a standalone minimap, but not w/ that feature because the fog,poi, etc. were all in the wrong place and didnt resize w/. Although the standalone did work w/ poi, fog, location, arrows,etc.
Unread 01-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Well, let me explain a bit more...

I'm not talking about completely changing the map to make it huge like that, I'm talking about trying to make either a new tab on the map page or something similar that'll be a blown-up version of the map. It wouldn't necessarily need the player and group member icons (that are dynamic) but instead would just be a nice way to see the detail on a map (and more easily make out POIs in a small area w/o having to use a new map just for that area).