EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 11-24-2006, 02:44 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Icon Bank vs. Volume

Honestly, I don't see any difference in how they work. The Effects window still uses the Volume. Why doesn't it use the Icon Bank? Anyone know the difference between the two other than name?

Arre
Unread 11-24-2006, 04:35 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Don Neufeld (SOE dev) posted on here (too lazy to search) that the IconBank is more efficient (I suppose less polygons, and maybe the textures for the icons are loaded in one go?).

I do not know whether the other windows using icons will be updated in due course - or there is the possibility that the IconBank is not an efficient way to display constantly changing icons such as effects or maintained spells. This is pure speculation on my part though, I have no official word on this.
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:22 AM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

Volume pages also use xml objects for each cell and elements within the cell, which requires those objects to be parsed and converted to screen elements. The trade off is more processing of a Volume page for more flexability. If the flexability really isn't needed, the simplified IconBank object requires less processing.

I'm guessing SOE will convert the Maintained and Effects windows to use IconBanks soonish. They probably just haven't finished the code needed to adjust icon possition when a buff in the middle of the bank drops.
Unread 11-25-2006, 02:23 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle

That makes sense. I'm still in the process of learning XML and how it works and affects system performance, so all this little tidbit info really helps. Thanks guys
Unread 11-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Yeah.

Basically Volume gives you more ability, but it's laggier (it has more to do). The IconBank is a special, simple case SOE made to reduce UI lag for simple things that will use IconBank.

As for learning XML... my advice is to look at the work of some of the great authors here, like Zonx, gm9, Faetyl, etc. and learn by example. Thats the best way that I've found so far =)
Unread 11-25-2006, 09:25 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Actually just looking at the Default UI and playing around with the different properties in UIbuilder is a very good way to learn the basics. For advanced logic Erahain's sticky post "Concatenate" is invaluable. And when you think you've understood it all go look at mods like mother9987's timer window and become all confused again.
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

No...

Don't talk about that window. I gave up UIBuilder for a week after I got a headache looking at that, trying to figure it out