EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 12-18-2004, 03:35 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default UI Builder problems

When I open a file in the UIBuilder the display screen on the right is always black except for an occasional red box when I'm selecting different objects. Am I missing something obvious or is my program messed up?

Blagden
Unread 12-18-2004, 05:54 PM
A Brown Bear
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

First, make sure that the tab you have selected in the viewer box, coresponds to the window you are trying to view.

For example:
1. Drill down to journal in the builder window.
2. In the Viewer window, select the journal tab.
If you don't see anything now, expand the journal entry and you'll see "activequest" and "journalsquest". You can view these one at a time or both at the same time, but they are independent of each other.

To turn them on and off (as far as visibility in the viewer window) click the button that looks like an eyeball. Its 2nd from the left, and next to the lock button about 3/4 down in the builder window.
Unread 12-18-2004, 06:48 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default It works now

Ah, that was it. Actually it was a combination of both of your suggestions. I wasn't selecting the tab in the viewer window and the visibility wasn't turned on for what I was wanting to work with. Thanks for the help.
Unread 12-18-2004, 06:53 PM
A Darkpaw Brute

PLEASE be careful with turning view on in the designer.

This has the sometimes nasty effect of turning view on by default in game as well..

I for one had an interesting time troubleshooting after I moved my mainhud a bit and turned it on.. it was always on, and nothing worked.
So now, I've learned to always use the tabs to select something, as this will display what you want.

Another useful tip: When working with a window inside mainhud, copy the window you want to change and paste it in your root. this will give you a new tab to click, a safe copy to muck about with and a view of ONLY that one page/window you want to change.. then all you have to do is copy it back to its original location when you're done. Note that copy copies all subpages as well.
Unread 12-26-2004, 09:30 PM
A Grove Wisp

Question

I'm a software developer in RL myself and I can't say that this tool is very intuitive - it is actually faster for me to edit the .xml files under VI directly...

I'm selecting the right group in the left tree nodes panel - I'm selecting the corresponding TAB in the right panel - I've the 'eye' icon activated, show on...

Nothing appears on the tabs window (I tried different nodes) - all black in the view panel - why is that? am I missing something here? running on WinXP...

Pretty frustrating and the doc is not really talkative...I thought I could see some previous of a UI frame...such as casting for instance...

Sorry for the rant.
Unread 12-27-2004, 03:33 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Nektulos

Pheebau: Did you open eq2ui.xml or a the file you wanted to change? Sounds like what happens when you do the latter. That's a mistake we've all made at least once.
Unread 01-01-2005, 05:27 PM
A Grove Wisp

Red face

Hi Deathbane27,

I opened the *specific* XML file I wanted to change (i.e. eq2ui_mainhud_player.xml) - I guess I joined the club too - ehe - thanks

Now, the 'eq2ui.xml' file is only under UI\Default - I've installed the custom 'Diamond Compact' interface under UI and it works fine - howerver there is no 'eq2ui.xml' under the UI\Diamond directory - I suppose all definition files in there take precedence over the ones found under UI\Default - now, how can I edit this custom interface to my own taste and open an equivalent 'eq2ui.xml' file for it? the only one I found was under UI\Default and it only allows me to modify the Default UI using the builder...more help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Happy new year 2005!

--pheebau

Last edited by pheebau : 01-01-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Unread 01-01-2005, 05:48 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Just copy the default eq2ui.xml to your custom folder, or one you downloaded that doesn't have one (as it's using the default one in game). Correct me if I'm wrong
Unread 01-01-2005, 06:13 PM
A Grove Wisp

Thumbs Up

Thanks it seems to be working!

Now I'm trying to find out why the custom UI previewed in the preview window has all the indivudul frames not alligned as they should when I look at them in-game....mainhud display everything - I guess it could be because the size in the eq2ui.xml is different than the one am playing with...Am going to update the eq2ui.xml under the custom folder with a proper size and see if it fixes it...tool looks much better now - only thing is that my mouse cursor does not show up when I mouseover the preview window - yet I can move around what has been hilighted in the tree..
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:58 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Nektulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheebau
Thanks it seems to be working!

Now I'm trying to find out why the custom UI previewed in the preview window has all the indivudul frames not alligned as they should when I look at them in-game....mainhud display everything - I guess it could be because the size in the eq2ui.xml is different than the one am playing with...Am going to update the eq2ui.xml under the custom folder with a proper size and see if it fixes it...tool looks much better now - only thing is that my mouse cursor does not show up when I mouseover the preview window - yet I can move around what has been hilighted in the tree..
Make sure the little "Play" and "Cursor" buttons (1st and 3rd) above the preview window are NOT pressed in.
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:05 PM
A Grove Wisp

Thumbs Up

Yes, thank you - I found it yesterday and was finally able to tweak the UI to my preferences - awesome tool once you get passed a few hurdles

Pretty impressive to see how customizable the EQ2 interface is indeed....

Cheers.