Unread 03-26-2005, 08:48 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos
Default Bags not staying put: PROBLEM SOLVED

PROBLEM SOLVED

Issue:
When you move a window, the game saves its location as a relationship between whichever edge of the window is closest to an edge of the screen or letterbox, and that edge. When you exit and re-enter the game, it loads that relationship based on the window's size as defined in the xml file, unless the window is resizable, in which case it loads the window's size as saved in the character's ini file.

Because the bag window is not flagged as resizable, but gets resized, its location can become borked if the bottom of the window (at its full size) is closer to a screen edge than the top.

SOLUTION:

Step 1: Add these properties to the bag window's main page (Inventory.Bag):

UserResizable="true" OnHoverIn="UserResizable=false"

This causes the bag window to save its size in the character's ini file so it won't get borked, and make it so it's not actually user resizable.

Step 2: It's also necessary to set the first bag slot in each row to Visible="false" and OnShow="Parent.Size=(X,Y) Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y)", where (X,Y) is the size that the bag should be when that slot's row is shown. If you don't do this, then the window will do it's resize-down-from-default size from that bag's saved size and you won't see your bag windows.

Step 3: (Nevermind, this problem can't actually affect the bags if they are set up properly.)

STEP 4:
If you're using somebody else's bag mod, they may have left code in there that hinders the proper saving of a bag's size. Such as, for example, Fetish Nightfall v3.3 bags containing a MaximumSize value in the XML that's smaller than the bag is going to be.

Remove any Minimumsize and Maximumsize parameters from the main bag page. This will be on the second line if opened in Notepad. Example, FetishNightfall v3.3 bag:

<Page Activated="true" eq2usescomwndcontrols="true" Location="3,58" MaximumSize="134,23" MinimumSize="134,23" Name="Bag"...

Replace with:

<Page Activated="true" eq2usescomwndcontrols="true" Location="3,58" Name="Bag"...

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 04-13-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Wrath of Evil
Premium Member

Server: Everfrost

Good work, Mook.
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Server: Antonia Bayle

I love you, man. And I'm not just saying that to get your Bud Light. ('Cause really, I don't drink anything that crappy )
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:15 AM
aka Mook

Edit: Instructions added to initial post. It's not as easy as I thought (I was using a bag with this script to test with so didn't realize it was necessary), but we can fix the problem now.

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 03-26-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbane27
Bah, there's to be something wrong. Window resizing down from previous size instead of default size. Using Talyns's 3/4 bag slot script to force a manual resize fixes it. Looking for a simpler solution. Don't go updating your bags just yet...
Heh, well, since I use Talyns' resizing scripts in both of my bag mods, I think I'll give it a go anyway.

(Actually, I was planning on mucking around with my bag mods today anyway, so this is really good timing for testing new ideas )
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:35 AM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Good find.

I had noted that the only bags I had problems with before were the ones that were in the 'shared slots, or any bag I placed below a certain point on screen. Just about halfway.
If the bottom edge of the bag is placed on or below this mark, the bag posistion doesn't save.

If the bags are all placed above on the top half of the screen they seem to save the posistions fine. Due to your recent discover that all makes perfect sense now. I had though it was an issue with the shared bank slots, becuase those were the only ones I had issues with.

Once I got gers smaller bag size mod, the 3/4 size one, and all the bags fit on the top of the screen, I didn't have the issue.

So that is another work around for people that do not want to mess with the code.
I'm not sure if it would work the other way , if all the bags were on the bottom of the screen?
It's the attach point, as you discovered, good find!
Unread 03-26-2005, 12:39 PM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbane27
PROBLEM SOLVED

/kiss
Unread 03-26-2005, 12:42 PM
A Sea Turtle

Server: Unrest
Default wow.

go go mook!

/kowtow
Unread 03-26-2005, 11:59 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Ok forgive me if this was touched on in another thread. Did a search but didn't see any posts quite on what I am seeing. Also wasn't sure if I should have made this a new thread but figured this was a good spot since these changes are where I am seeing some of my issue.

I made a bag mod like what the OP originally stated (ended up adding Parent.MaximumSize=x,y to it to try to fix my issue). When I log in and open my bags, the bags show one row less then they are supposed to. So a 12 slot bag shows 8 slots, 14 slot shows 12, etxc. The last row is cut off in each bag (bags are 4 slots wide by X long). I found though if I exchange the positions of two physically different sized bags in my inventory window, the bags will then show the last row that was cut off. Except by the time I am done doing all the exchanges, my 12 slot bags are then trying to show a 4th row (there is nothing in the row - just blank space). So I could live with this if it would hold that way, but of course, that would make it to easy. Upon logging and coming back into the game, the bags are missing a row again.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this (probably not)?

If I take my custom file out and go with the default, the issue goes away (of course then I have the larger bulky box/bag windows again). If I put the mod back in place after that, then I have the same issue again. Will try one of your guy's bag mods and see if I get the same thing. It acts like the ui is stuck loading smaller bag settings from something.

Edit:
Ok nm. My modding skills just suck I guess. Tried Deathbane27 and Ger's 3/4th bag mods and they both worked fine. So I will have to go through my code and see what the heck is up with it (I like to know why it isn't working). Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

Last edited by acethewd : 03-27-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Unread 03-27-2005, 01:14 AM
aka Mook

Acethewd: It sounds like you're scripting the bag to show too small. Make sure the OnShow script sizes the bag to include the bottom of the row, not be resized to the Y position of the row.
Unread 03-27-2005, 04:09 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thanks for the reply Deathbane27 but I think I found my dumb mistake. Somehow I managed to change Parent.Size (on the icon settings) into Parent.MaximumSize. I think this is what was causing me all my grief (I managed to fix the dumb thing without remembering what I had changed and had to start over again).

So after several hours of logging in and out of the game, I, and my friends with my characters on their friends list, can't wait for /loadui to get fixed.

Thanks again for an awesome fix.
Unread 04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Can we get an unmodded version of the fix? Just the default with stayput, please.

Also, wouldn't you think the bag locations should be saved in the server_character_eq2_uisettings.ini with all the other character specific window locations rather than every character having the same bag locations?
Unread 04-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by syneris
Can we get an unmodded version of the fix? Just the default with stayput, please.

Also, wouldn't you think the bag locations should be saved in the server_character_eq2_uisettings.ini with all the other character specific window locations rather than every character having the same bag locations?
Bag locations are saved in the character UI settings files. The problem is, they locations are stored as being relative to certain fixed points on the screen (left, center, right/top, middle, bottom) so when the size of the bag changes, that relative positioning ends up placing the top/left corner in the wrong place. ...I think that made sense.
Unread 04-13-2005, 06:38 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

i've tried to add this fix myself multiple times with no success
Unread 04-13-2005, 07:42 PM
aka Mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by syneris
i've tried to add this fix myself multiple times with no success
Well, attach what you've got and I'll take a look at it.
Unread 04-14-2005, 12:34 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I don't really know anything about xml or modding. I just copied the file from the default to the custom ui folder. I tried adding the four steps, but don't quite know what parts they refered to. I opened up all the mods here that has it fixed and tried to fill in the blanks from comparing and copy/paste missing info into the default xml. What i ended up with most the time was 1 bag slot that looked normal but the rest of that bag was choped up into segments and the frame was what i'd say would be the minimum size (sorta behind the window but visible because the chopped up slots). I've deleted the edited files i had, so i can't upload it for you to look at.

Last edited by syneris : 04-14-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Unread 04-14-2005, 05:34 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Hurray!! Thanks again Death - we all appreciate you sacrificing your play time to improve ours.

*moment of silence*
Unread 05-10-2005, 09:30 PM
A Sea Turtle

Server: Permafrost
Exclamation

I may be strange, but I happen to like the bags in the game just fine IF I could just get them to stay where I put them. That is where the rub comes in for me. I am being forced to create my own UI just to get the darn bags to stay put because Sony won't bother to do it for us. Anyway, {/shrug} all I want is the simplest modification of the standard bag UI that will make the bags stay put. My problem is that I have tried everything that has been mentioned here on the standard UI and I end up with one of two results.

Problem 1: If I assume that Sony actually DID set up their bags properly and leave out your Steps 2 & 3 (See quote below), then I get either invisible bags or they don't open.

Quote:
Step 2: It's also necessary to set the first bag slot in each row to Visible="false" and OnShow="Parent.Size=(X,Y) Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y)", where (X,Y) is the size that the bag should be when that slot's row is shown. If you don't do this, then the window will do it's resize-down-from-default size from that bag's saved size and you won't see your bag windows.

Step 3: (Nevermind, this problem can't actually affect the bags if they are set up properly.)
Problem 2: If I put in what I think are the proper numbers for X and Y in Parent.Size=(X,Y) and Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y), I get really strange behavior that obliterates about half my screen with something that is still invisible.

I am obviously doing something wrong, but I'm not certain what at this point. Any suggestions about the proper values for Parent.Size=(X,Y) and Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y) for the default bags would be appreciated. If there is something you see that I am missing from what I have described here, please point it out. If there are new developments in the bag UI since the last post in this thread it would really help to know about that, as well.

Someone please post a solution or suggestion to help me solve this problem.

Last edited by Sinbad : 05-17-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Unread 05-21-2005, 03:59 AM
A Griffon

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad
I may be strange, but I happen to like the bags in the game just fine IF I could just get them to stay where I put them. That is where the rub comes in for me. I am being forced to create my own UI just to get the darn bags to stay put because Sony won't bother to do it for us. Anyway, {/shrug} all I want is the simplest modification of the standard bag UI that will make the bags stay put. My problem is that I have tried everything that has been mentioned here on the standard UI and I end up with one of two results.

Problem 1: If I assume that Sony actually DID set up their bags properly and leave out your Steps 2 & 3 (See quote below), then I get either invisible bags or they don't open.

Problem 2: If I put in what I think are the proper numbers for X and Y in Parent.Size=(X,Y) and Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y), I get really strange behavior that obliterates about half my screen with something that is still invisible.

I am obviously doing something wrong, but I'm not certain what at this point. Any suggestions about the proper values for Parent.Size=(X,Y) and Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y) for the default bags would be appreciated. If there is something you see that I am missing from what I have described here, please point it out. If there are new developments in the bag UI since the last post in this thread it would really help to know about that, as well.

First of all, I fail to see where he said to skip step 2. The only thing REMOTELY similar, is the warning of what will happen if you DO skip step 2.

Someone around here most likely has full size default bags with StayPut in them already, somehwere. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Unread 05-21-2005, 05:00 AM
aka Mook

Quote:
Problem 1: If I assume that Sony actually DID set up their bags properly...
Then this thread wouldn't exist, would it?

Quote:

There is a 99% chance that if you attach the bag mod you tried, I'll be able to find the problem.

There is a 0% chance if you just say "It doesn't work".
Unread 05-21-2005, 04:52 PM
A Sea Turtle

Exclamation

First, let me apologize for not including my mod with the original post, but I simply did not think about it since I am new to this forum. It would not let me attach the file unless I used Internet Explorer instead of my preferred browser Firefox, but I have attached the mod this time.

Second, I evidently misunderstood your instructions at first because I re-read them - yet again - and found that I had overlooked a detail that was critical. Once I put the instruction in the Slot instead of where another bag mod writer had put it, it seems to work quite well, overall. I am now having only one strange problem, but the bags are staying put. For some odd reason, an 11-slot box is being treated as a 16-slot box which produces a huge border at the bottom, but the 9-, 10- and 12-slot boxes and bags are drawn properly.
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_inventory_bag.xml (9.5 KB, 352 views)

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 05-22-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Unread 05-22-2005, 01:14 AM
aka Mook

Well, Firefox works fine for me in uploading attachements.

At any rate, I'm glad that you were able to locate and repair the problem you posted about earlier. As for the 11th slot, I dunno. The only advice I can offer is to copy the OnShow from Slot 8 to slots 9-11.
Unread 05-22-2005, 11:28 AM
A Sea Turtle

Ok, I figured out what the problem was with Firefox. I had to allow popups, which I normally have blocked for all sites.

I also figured out the problem with the bags not drawing properly. I was off on my Y dimension by 1 or 2. I have attached the corrected version of the mod which now draws all size bags and boxes properly as far as I can tell - just in case someone else out there is like me and would like to have it.

I do have one other question. I noticed that this has no effect on the bags in the the House Vault. What UI file do I have to modify to make them stay put? I haven't seen any mods on the site for the House Vault at all.
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_inventory_bag.xml (9.5 KB, 377 views)
Unread 05-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Quote:
First, let me apologize for not including my mod with the original post, but I simply did not think about it since I am new to this forum. It would not let me attach the file unless I used Internet Explorer instead of my preferred browser Firefox, but I have attached the mod this time.
I use the latest Firefox too and can upload attachments just fine. The forums are a 100% W3C xhtml complient. Everything has been tested in IE, FireFox, Kde Konqueror, Mac Safari, etc.