EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 03-03-2007, 12:09 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost
Default Musings on the Future of the Info Center....

A little more than a year ago, two major factors prompted me to create the Milquetowst Info Center. First, some of the info I wanted to be able to access wasn't readily available, and second, I hated having to go out of the game to look things up. (I don't like playing in windowed mode.)

Obviously, with GU32's working browser window, the second consideration is no longer relevant.

GU32 only went live two days ago, but already, several people have suggested to me that the Info Center should be moved or copied to a Web site. I really have no interest in doing so. I don't want to create yet another EQ2 Web site, and frankly don't see the need for one. In fact, my own thoughts are running in the opposite direction completely. Now that the existing Web sites can be easily accessed from within the game, much of the Info Center's content has become redundant.

Certainly, some of the Info Center's content is still useful, either because it still isn't readily available elsewhere, or because I just happen to have put it together in a better format than anyone else.

But much of it is really no longer necessary. What real purpose is served now by the relative handful of quest walk-thrus, at least some of which I know are out of date, when it's suddenly become quite simple from within the game to access sites with *hundreds* of up-to-date quest walk-thrus?

I think the time has come for me to "switch gears," so to speak. Up 'til now, I've been trying to put more and more stuff into the Info Center. Now, I think it's time to start paring it down again, and get rid of stuff that's readily accessible in the same (or superior) form elsewhere.

I certainly wouldn't mind not having to feel guilty any more for spending time *playing* instead of updating walk-thrus that I don't have a personal need for at the moment, anyway.

OK, I know this is rambling a bit, but what I'm really looking for, I guess, is some feedback regarding what should stay and what should go. I know what information *I* tend to reference the most, but I've no idea what others find most useful.

-- Darryl (Milquetowst)
Unread 03-03-2007, 12:38 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

I've always played in windows mode and thus had no issues with using my out-of game browser for information. Nevertheless I regularly use the infocenter, it is just faster information that is more condensed in one spot. So in my opinion your great resource has not become outdated just yet.

I have to admit, though, that I rarely ever used the whole quest info part. The most used features for me are the spell, harvesting and crafting lists.
Unread 03-03-2007, 05:18 AM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle

Yeah i have no issue tabbing oput of game to find info BUT the centre is so quick, effective, never crashes and is very relevant.

It is great to have the top info to hand, sure some things may need updating but even online i find this.

Maybe a small Poll to ask if anyhting needs to be removed, also post what you use the most and least so we can see where you are heading.

I joined a new guild recently and the 1st mod i recommended to people was yours if they didn't have it.
Unread 03-03-2007, 06:14 AM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

IMO the quest info (and maybe spells) are obsolete. Socials are redundant. There are several performance mods that provide more emidiate access.

The other info you've gathered... harvesting, mounts, housing, writs, etc... are not readily available on the usual web sites in as friendly a format. I encourage you to keep this stuff available in some format, its very useful
Unread 03-03-2007, 06:39 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Everfrost

Mostly We (my hubby and myself) use the spells and harvesting infore regularly, and until recently didnt have a good enough computer to tab out of the game. Even though we now have the best pc's out there I love the info center, its fast accurate and easy to get to in game. As far as were concerned the info center is still a great resource and very much needed. It May need updateing or pareing down. We also do not like to play in windows mode.

Thanks for the great resource Brenda
Unread 03-03-2007, 07:48 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

Infocenter fast.

In-game browser slow.

Keep.
Unread 03-05-2007, 05:16 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle

Your info center makes things much easier for me I cioiuld use their browser bur hoiw secure is it SOE is not real big on doing things without there being a problem so I trust their browser less than most and even your out od date info has proven helpful as U had some of the quests so when I looked em up the copuld not find the npc I just write it down to look up on the web and figure you'll update soon. What I would like to see added if people wil supply the info , a bot list some of us have a blast getting bots killed. Last night a guildie at the hall of fate moving bridge got the lead bot to midddd then the other 5 went right over the edge behind hahahaha I'd rather not have to go out of game to get info but have it in game in an info center. I do appreciate tghe work you have done and if you decide not to I understand but for each of us that posts there are probably 100 who don't but feel the same way.

Not only that SOE has consistently worked to shut down those who make the game more fun I am sure their browser tells them who is going where during playing times