Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 01-03-2005, 02:36 AM
EQ2MAP Webmaster
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unkown
Default Legal to sell interfaces?

I'm working on a project right now. A project that requires great depth into the game and a good deal of time. So much that I would feel time wasted just giving away such valuable information.

So I was wondering if anyone had anything on the legality of selling your interfaces and the different aspects of it. Of course it would have to be your own code, images, and all that I know. But is there anything preventing us from selling our one offs?
Unread 01-03-2005, 02:56 AM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

You may want to contact sony directly for that as I'm not sure.
Unread 01-03-2005, 04:19 AM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow
Default Not to snap at you or anything but...

I'll be nice and say thats a horrible idea. We all learn and figure this ui stuff out together, and i think its wrong to want to charge money for something that is so community based. Everyone builds off of everyone else, and if it weren't for people like Dolby, Kudane, and all the modders who do stuff for free, mods would be nowhere as advanced as they are now. If we have people whipping out a credit card everytime someone figures out a new trick, modding will go nowhere fast.

(not to mention that you really can't patient an interface or feature, so whatever is so special will be copied by others, not maliciously or anything, thats just how it works.. people like to tweak stuff) and i really dont mean to snap at you, I just think its a crappy idea =)

Unread 01-03-2005, 04:35 AM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

First off: I understand completely where you're coming from.

But what I'm doing I will be glad to release the code to. I would just take out all my research information relating to ingame stuff that would be the thing I'm really charging for. Just the information that I'm digging up while adventuring. The code is fair game and I'll gladly post it up when I'm done.
Unread 01-03-2005, 06:08 AM
a hedgehog

Server: Nagafen

...i pay enough money to sony. I have no desire to buy "information" that can be told to me for free either by your or someone you tell.
________
INEXPENSIVE PORTABLE VAPORIZER

Last edited by tonyis3l33t : 09-16-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Unread 01-03-2005, 06:36 AM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Some do. The question was legality.
Unread 01-03-2005, 08:54 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle

Don't mean it in a bad way, but you know if you sold it, it would get leaked for free quite easily.
Unread 01-03-2005, 09:51 AM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Way i see it is, sounds like a eq tips and quest info built into an interface, so it would be that what you would be selling? , if so your probably better off spending your time just making some sort of plug in for the ui that contains that info and try and sell that along with all the other dude's out there that sell the same stuff in pdf / txt format, But like Drumstix42 say's basicly you will maybe sell it a few times then the whole world with have access to the info for free.... Personaly speaking a waste of time... but thats just my opinion..

To me we do pay soe enough, so us the player's / payer's of the game should all help and learn from each other for free, whilst i am no expert on custom eq2 ui's or the game it self even at the moment, i enjoy helping people with what little knowlage i have for free, my payment is in the satisfaction of knowing that i was able to help or even point sombody in the right direction..

just my thought's and view's thats all dont take offence by this as none is intended
Unread 01-12-2005, 03:13 PM
A Grizzled Badger

Server: Crushbone

From a legal standpoint, intellectual property within the game is the sole property of SOE. All legal documents that we agree to when we sign into the game point to this. Don't get me wrong, many sites have gotten away with it and done very well for themselves.

I know what you are feeling or thinking. Things like in-game maps that are not usually provided, and are often VERY well done take time, and research. This kind of information and work should be rewarded. But charging money for it can become an EXTREMELY sticky situation in which you will just end up trying to enforce copyright law and prevent people from stealing and re-using your content. You would also be bringing yourself into the targets of SOE. They WOULD look into what you are doing, and their decision to pursue it, or leave it be, would be totally up to chance...

If it was me? Take your time working on it. If you feel hard-pressed to get this kind of thing out, and feel it should be worth your time, then DON'T do it. Most of us do this kind of thing because we enjoy it, and love sharing code and knowledge with others that enjoy the same. Do it for that, or keep the stuff to yourself, and don't share it. You would be looking at some people buying it, and some people being upset for you selling it. It can be a double edged sword.

Oh and one more thing. If you chrage, you better be well and ready to provide support, and updates, because people that purchase anything game or UI related would EXPECT at least that in return...

Good luck with however you decide to pursue this...