EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 12-15-2004, 02:00 AM
A Darkpaw Brute

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default The theory of windows in UIBuilder

I would like to start a bit of a discussion pertaining to UI windows/pages and how they work, as seen from the UIBuilder.

Specifically, I have know the following:

- If you make a NEW window/Page under the mainhud, the window can be toggled using the show_window mainhud.newWindow command. This works also for all "standard" windows.
- If you make a new window and place it under root, it will either show or not show permanently (including during loading screens and character selection screens). It does not appear to be possible to open and close these, using any command I've tried.
- It is possible to add windows elsewhere besides mainhud (options, inventory) and these can also be opened and closed, using show_window command. (try /Show_window inventory.inventory, this will open the inventory window in a form of design mode)
- It does not appear possible to open a page located directly under root like /show_window options or /show_window mainhud. Apparently we can only reference sub-pages

It would appear that the main windows located directly under root always open during specific circumstances, which are hard-coded, although I'm not entirely convinced how yet.

I am wondering if anyone knows why a page like Options is located directly under root, as opposed to being a part of mainhud. What is the reasoning behind this? Is this simply a matter of grouping the pages at design time,that the designers preferred? or is there some other motive?

Has anyone else made any discoveries which might lead us closer to being able to make entirely new windows, possibly even adding functionality to them? We can make new windows and show them using show_window, but can we add buttons to a window, which in turn open new, user defined windows?

Just a few opening remarks and questions for everyone interested. I'd like to hear what others have found, using the Builder.

/NetSapiens