EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 06-15-2006, 01:02 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Followed instructions....

But they did not work.

EQ2map no change in default map.

ProfitUI does nothing...I cannot select it as an option for UI in the game.

Here's what I did:

in UI, created myui folder
created eq2.ini in main directory making sure of no other extensions (to the best of my ability to check this---and yes, hide extensions is unchecked); added the required text.

unzipped both map and profitui into myui folder

deleted my custom ui setting files from main directory on each character.

results: nothing.

The only thing I'm a bit hazy on is that when I extracted these two zips, they made folders inside 'myui'. Fairly certain the instructions said not to have this. Unfortunately, the instructions are not precisely worded---catch phrases or other jargon are used in lieu of precise extrapolation. When it says 'unzip' to this folder, that's what I do. Nothing is stated that the unzip will create a subfolder---though of course, I know this.

Can I get some clear directions on this issue?

thanks
Unread 06-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Cry Spoon!
Premium Member
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Oggok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarion
But they did not work.

EQ2map no change in default map.

ProfitUI does nothing...I cannot select it as an option for UI in the game.

Here's what I did:

in UI, created myui folder
created eq2.ini in main directory making sure of no other extensions (to the best of my ability to check this---and yes, hide extensions is unchecked); added the required text.

unzipped both map and profitui into myui folder

deleted my custom ui setting files from main directory on each character.

results: nothing.

The only thing I'm a bit hazy on is that when I extracted these two zips, they made folders inside 'myui'. Fairly certain the instructions said not to have this. Unfortunately, the instructions are not precisely worded---catch phrases or other jargon are used in lieu of precise extrapolation. When it says 'unzip' to this folder, that's what I do. Nothing is stated that the unzip will create a subfolder---though of course, I know this.

Can I get some clear directions on this issue?

thanks
That's your mistake. If you want to use Profit and EQ2Maps here's how you do it.

Unzip ProfitUI straight to your EverQuest2 folder. The zip contains all the necessary folders to place the files where they need to be (chose "Yes" when asked if you want to overwrite any files).

After unzipping Profit you will have a few .ini files to chose from with popular setups for various resolutions. Simply rename them to reflect your character and the server you play on. Also, the eq2.ini you created will be overwritten with one that is set up for Profit so no worries there.

Now, to install EQ2maps you have a couple of options. If you downloaded the autmagic installer and updater just run the update program. It will read the new eq2.ini and install the files where they should be (inside the Profit folder). If not, browse to the folder where you installed EQ2maps earlier and copy the contents of that folder (one folder named "eq2map", one folder named "images" and a file named "eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml) to the ProfitUI folder.

And that should be it, basically. In your "UI" folder there should be one named "ProfitUI" and this is the one where you put all the goodies you want in the game.

Bugrit - 64 Monk - 51 Tailor
Boznak - 64 Warden - 41 Provisioner

Founder and proud leader of: Alternate Reality
Bringing the lazy slackery back in the game.
Unread 06-15-2006, 01:29 AM
A Brown Bear

Thanks...about to launch game again.

But, now there is a UI folder and ProfitUI2.5 folder in the main EQ2 directory.

I appreciate the help, but this is another point of possible confusion here. Which will the game read? I'm thinking UI, not ProfitUI.

Alc
Unread 06-15-2006, 01:34 AM
Cry Spoon!
Premium Member

In your EverQuest2 folder you want it to look like this:

..\UI\ProfitUI

That's where the game will look. Make sure your eq2.ini file reads like this also:

cl_ui_skinname ProfitUI
cl_ui_subdir UI/
cl_movie_enabled 0

If you unzip the new Profit zip straight into the EverQuest2 folder that's what you get - assuming you make sure that your unzip software keeps the folder structure intact.

As an aside, the last line of the eq2.ini is not critical (cl_movie_enabled 0) - all it does is make the game not play the intro movie so if you still want to see that when you log in you can safely remove it.

Edit: Basically you don't have to do anything but unzip Profit to your EQ2 folder with the directory structure intact. That will set up all the files and folders where they need to be. Once that is done you install EQ2Maps in the ProfitUI folder. No need to edit the eq2.ini after that either.

Last edited by Pixi : 06-15-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Unread 06-15-2006, 01:36 AM
A Brown Bear

There is no folder in UI named profitui.

I'm using the non updating version of the map, btw.

Using XP, the option for 'unzipping' profitui zip is 'extract all'. This is what I did. Nothing changed in UI and I was not prompted to overwrite anything.

Alc
Unread 06-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Cry Spoon!
Premium Member

Ok, when you hit "extract all.." chose "Browse" in the window that pops up. Browse to your EverQuest2 folder and click ok. That will create the folders etc and will ask you for overwrite.

Edit: For the non-updating version of EQ2Maps - just do the copy thing I explained above and stick the folders/file in the ProfitUI folder.

Phew, this got confusing lol.

Unread 06-15-2006, 01:51 AM
A Brown Bear

Thanks indeed....

However, eq2maps when I try to copy it over to the now existing profitui folder (where it should be ) it warns that 'images' already exists. Do I want to overwrite this specific file? My instincts say yes, but again, we're dealing with concepts which seem exceedingly clear to you guys, but need exactness of wording for those of us unfamiliar with *cough* 'haczoring' the game*

*of course, I realize these are legitimate alterations to the program sanctioned by SOE. Just a tiny joke

Alc
Unread 06-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Cry Spoon!
Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about overwriting. I'd recommend the autoupdater, though. It's handy in that it recognize what UI you're using and updates to the right place. No need to move files around or do any editing of any sort - just update and log in.

Unread 06-15-2006, 02:02 AM
A Brown Bear

I'm considering it (especially after all this) but I'm concerned about my spyware doctor and my avast! antivirus interfering with it.

Guys, may I make a suggestion? Please have someone (not a programmer) write the installation instructions for all of this. Many of the terms you guys use (though proper) do no convey exactness. The meaning is so clear to you, that you subconsciously assume everyone else must know them as well.

Nothing of your instructions to me was clearly stated in any FAQ or instruction post on this site---to someone unfamiliar with altering the program, like me (though I'm very literate with my machine).

Anyway, I will now try and see if this works. If so, I'll remove myui and it's contents from the directory.

Alc
Unread 06-15-2006, 02:16 AM
A Brown Bear

ugh

Ok, ProfitUI works to an extent, but suddenly created a huge block in the midst of my screen which I could not remove (tradeskill interface I think). Ways and means of adding more hotbars no intuitive, 3 bars in the midst of screen each of which showed my own character's info and nothing for my pet.

Soo, now I need to remove all this Profit stuff and just have the map. Failing this, I'll just remove all of it and stick with the ingame stuff.

How do I remove this and just have the map, please?

Alc

Last edited by Alcarion : 06-15-2006 at 02:18 AM.
Unread 06-15-2006, 02:24 AM
Cry Spoon!
Premium Member

Yeah, I can agree it gets confusing at times. The problem is that not all interface authors follow the same "rules". Profit, for example, is set up to be extracted to your EQ2 folder - others need you to make a folder manually and unzip there. Etc... The basic premise never change, though:

1. The game reads the eq2.ini to see what folder the interface mods are located in.

2. The game reads the modified interface files from said folder and displays them in-game.

And that's it, basically. Make/edit the eq2.ini and make sure the mods are located in the proper folder.

The one recommendation I would give, though, is to find a nice file manager. I use a great one called "Total Commander" (previously Windows Commander) that is reminiscent of the old Norton Commander if anyone remember that one hehe. Check out www.ghisler.com for info and you'll see the basic features it has. It makes thing like this (and any other file managing for that matter) soo much easier to do - and grasp. Using the Windows Explorer thingy is totally unintuitive (to me at least) and tends to complicate things even more hehe.

Last edited by Pixi : 06-15-2006 at 02:26 AM.
Unread 06-15-2006, 02:25 AM
Cry Spoon!
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarion
ugh

Ok, ProfitUI works to an extent, but suddenly created a huge block in the midst of my screen which I could not remove (tradeskill interface I think). Ways and means of adding more hotbars no intuitive, 3 bars in the midst of screen each of which showed my own character's info and nothing for my pet.

Soo, now I need to remove all this Profit stuff and just have the map. Failing this, I'll just remove all of it and stick with the ingame stuff.

How do I remove this and just have the map, please?

Alc
Lol - not having a good day, are you?

Install EQ2Maps in your UI folder and change the eq2.ini file to reflect that.