Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 04-12-2005, 07:46 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piltdown
It's very possible that I'm missing something, but this has not fixed the issue as far as I can tell. I installed the Fetish mod (excellent) and if I stack my bags or bankboxes down the side of the screen they still get shifted when I log. I poked at the xml files with a stick according to your instructions - no change.

Can one of you gurus check this out? My bags will stay if they're close to the top, but not stacked down the side.

* I should probably note that I installed the updated version of the mod.
As it turns out, the problem has two components.

If the bottom edge is closer to the bottom of the screen (or its letter box) than the top is to the top of the screen (or its letterbox), then the Resizable fix takes care of it.

The other problem, pointed out by Zonx, is that windows don't save their positions properly if the edges are off-screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonx
4) EQ2 likes to shove stuff fully on screen whether "allow windows off-screen" is checked or not. Not sure but I think it often uses the UIBuilder window size to decide what is or isn't offscreen. What this means is a bag window near the bottom edge of screen can be repositioned so their bottom at default size fits on screen before being shrunk down to their slot count. With nearly double the max slot count, this is a far more likely problem. Might be a good idea to set custom bags to a very small initial size to avoid this.
You see this problem less often, but, as you can see, it does still happen.

Quickest solution for most bag mods that already feature dynamic resizing is to simply open UIBuilder and resize it down to the point where all you can see is any buttons and text labels you have in the window. I haven't tested it yet but in theory this should prevent the problem you're experiencing.

Editing first post to include this info.
Unread 04-12-2005, 01:09 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default still having problems

I've gone through and added both the fixes mentioned earlier in this thread. The problem I still have seems to be with the "too close to the bottom edge" issue. All my bags along the top stay fine, anything along the bottom gets shoved down a bit further. Done the resizeable fix thing, and this didn't help. Then tried the other fix with the parent sizes even though that didn't seem to be the issue and it didn't help either. I am running the fetish nightfall interface at the moment, and wonder if perhaps I've done something wrong there, but everything else seems to work ok with it. Any other ideas? Or am I just doomed to everlasting interface frustrations?

Mojax
Unread 04-12-2005, 03:09 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thanks for the reply Deathbane, but they do they same thing when stacked down the middle of the screen - and it looks like the fetish bags are already sized down to just the title bar.

Please keep in mind I'm a complete n00b to xml and or the UIbuilder ;p
Unread 04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
aka Mook

Looks like I'll be doing more experimenting with this...
Unread 04-12-2005, 06:59 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

You would be a gentleman and a hero, sir. I managed to work around it for the moment by countering the observed shift when I place the window, then when I relog it opens where I want it.

Above all, thanks for caring!
Love, Pilt
Unread 04-12-2005, 07:44 PM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Well if its of any use, I turned the letterbox back on and set it at about .. erm ...0.057500 so its behind my UI still and not visible , I had a big performance boost (ie hardly any lag in towns) but also after re-locating the bags the stayed put !!! ... like I said elsewhere some things seem to snap in relation to where the top / bottom of the letterbox is if enabled or where its default location is if it is not.....

I know this may not make a lot of sense, but play with the letterbox and the position of the bags and you should see what I mean......

Unread 04-13-2005, 04:14 AM
aka Mook

...Zonx...

...The windows can't save their size settings properly if the window's MaximumSize as defined in the XML is smaller than the window...

STEP 4:

Remove any Minimumsize and Maximumsize parameters from the main bag page. (Or set the Maximumsize to the size for the 36-slot bag or some ridiculously high number.) This will be on the second line if opened in Notepad. Example, FetishNightfall bag:

<Page Activated="true" eq2usescomwndcontrols="true" Location="3,58" MaximumSize="134,23" MinimumSize="134,23" Name="Bag"

Replace with:

<Page Activated="true" eq2usescomwndcontrols="true" Location="3,58" Name="Bag"

Or, specific to Fetish Nightfall v3.3 bags:

<Page Activated="true" eq2usescomwndcontrols="true" Location="3,58" MaximumSize="134,313" MinimumSize="134,23" Name="Bag"

Attaching fixed version of Fetish Nightfall 3.3 bag to this post.

...That takes care of everyone but Laffs. Laffs, what bag mod are you using? (Attach it here if it's not in the download section.)
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_inventory_bag.xml (15.5 KB, 320 views)

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 04-13-2005 at 04:29 AM.
Unread 04-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Yup, that was what finally fixed my multiformat's stayput—I said what the heck, why not try it? and actually set the minimum/maximum sizes to the real minimum and maximum sizes.
Unread 04-13-2005, 07:25 AM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Deathbane27,

Mine is a bit of a hybrid (like everything else hehe)....

Actualy having just looked at it, Turns out that it is your bag mod hehe!

I recall now I dropped mine 2 patches ago as the updated version I needed to make looked exactly the same as the one you released so I thought no point in me making another

the min size in that one is 20,20 max is about 16300,16300 roughly, wc pages are 173,20

Thanks
Unread 04-13-2005, 07:37 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Might that be the problem why the EXP bar mod from taco-man is moving always a bit to the right when i start it up?

Well have to see if the changes work on it.

Warden on Antonia Bayle

Guild Leader of Velvet-Storm
www.velvet-storm.org
Unread 04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Can we get an unmodded version of the fix? Just the default with stayput, please.

Also, wouldn't you think the bag locations should be saved in the server_character_eq2_uisettings.ini with all the other character specific window locations rather than every character having the same bag locations?
Unread 04-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by syneris
Can we get an unmodded version of the fix? Just the default with stayput, please.

Also, wouldn't you think the bag locations should be saved in the server_character_eq2_uisettings.ini with all the other character specific window locations rather than every character having the same bag locations?
Bag locations are saved in the character UI settings files. The problem is, they locations are stored as being relative to certain fixed points on the screen (left, center, right/top, middle, bottom) so when the size of the bag changes, that relative positioning ends up placing the top/left corner in the wrong place. ...I think that made sense.
Unread 04-13-2005, 06:38 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

i've tried to add this fix myself multiple times with no success
Unread 04-13-2005, 07:42 PM
aka Mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by syneris
i've tried to add this fix myself multiple times with no success
Well, attach what you've got and I'll take a look at it.
Unread 04-14-2005, 12:34 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I don't really know anything about xml or modding. I just copied the file from the default to the custom ui folder. I tried adding the four steps, but don't quite know what parts they refered to. I opened up all the mods here that has it fixed and tried to fill in the blanks from comparing and copy/paste missing info into the default xml. What i ended up with most the time was 1 bag slot that looked normal but the rest of that bag was choped up into segments and the frame was what i'd say would be the minimum size (sorta behind the window but visible because the chopped up slots). I've deleted the edited files i had, so i can't upload it for you to look at.

Last edited by syneris : 04-14-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Unread 04-14-2005, 05:34 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Hurray!! Thanks again Death - we all appreciate you sacrificing your play time to improve ours.

*moment of silence*
Unread 05-10-2005, 09:30 PM
A Sea Turtle

Server: Permafrost
Exclamation

I may be strange, but I happen to like the bags in the game just fine IF I could just get them to stay where I put them. That is where the rub comes in for me. I am being forced to create my own UI just to get the darn bags to stay put because Sony won't bother to do it for us. Anyway, {/shrug} all I want is the simplest modification of the standard bag UI that will make the bags stay put. My problem is that I have tried everything that has been mentioned here on the standard UI and I end up with one of two results.

Problem 1: If I assume that Sony actually DID set up their bags properly and leave out your Steps 2 & 3 (See quote below), then I get either invisible bags or they don't open.

Quote:
Step 2: It's also necessary to set the first bag slot in each row to Visible="false" and OnShow="Parent.Size=(X,Y) Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y)", where (X,Y) is the size that the bag should be when that slot's row is shown. If you don't do this, then the window will do it's resize-down-from-default size from that bag's saved size and you won't see your bag windows.

Step 3: (Nevermind, this problem can't actually affect the bags if they are set up properly.)
Problem 2: If I put in what I think are the proper numbers for X and Y in Parent.Size=(X,Y) and Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y), I get really strange behavior that obliterates about half my screen with something that is still invisible.

I am obviously doing something wrong, but I'm not certain what at this point. Any suggestions about the proper values for Parent.Size=(X,Y) and Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y) for the default bags would be appreciated. If there is something you see that I am missing from what I have described here, please point it out. If there are new developments in the bag UI since the last post in this thread it would really help to know about that, as well.

Someone please post a solution or suggestion to help me solve this problem.

Last edited by Sinbad : 05-17-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Unread 05-21-2005, 03:59 AM
A Griffon

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad
I may be strange, but I happen to like the bags in the game just fine IF I could just get them to stay where I put them. That is where the rub comes in for me. I am being forced to create my own UI just to get the darn bags to stay put because Sony won't bother to do it for us. Anyway, {/shrug} all I want is the simplest modification of the standard bag UI that will make the bags stay put. My problem is that I have tried everything that has been mentioned here on the standard UI and I end up with one of two results.

Problem 1: If I assume that Sony actually DID set up their bags properly and leave out your Steps 2 & 3 (See quote below), then I get either invisible bags or they don't open.

Problem 2: If I put in what I think are the proper numbers for X and Y in Parent.Size=(X,Y) and Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y), I get really strange behavior that obliterates about half my screen with something that is still invisible.

I am obviously doing something wrong, but I'm not certain what at this point. Any suggestions about the proper values for Parent.Size=(X,Y) and Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y) for the default bags would be appreciated. If there is something you see that I am missing from what I have described here, please point it out. If there are new developments in the bag UI since the last post in this thread it would really help to know about that, as well.

First of all, I fail to see where he said to skip step 2. The only thing REMOTELY similar, is the warning of what will happen if you DO skip step 2.

Someone around here most likely has full size default bags with StayPut in them already, somehwere. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Unread 05-21-2005, 05:00 AM
aka Mook

Quote:
Problem 1: If I assume that Sony actually DID set up their bags properly...
Then this thread wouldn't exist, would it?

Quote:

There is a 99% chance that if you attach the bag mod you tried, I'll be able to find the problem.

There is a 0% chance if you just say "It doesn't work".
Unread 05-21-2005, 04:52 PM
A Sea Turtle

Exclamation

First, let me apologize for not including my mod with the original post, but I simply did not think about it since I am new to this forum. It would not let me attach the file unless I used Internet Explorer instead of my preferred browser Firefox, but I have attached the mod this time.

Second, I evidently misunderstood your instructions at first because I re-read them - yet again - and found that I had overlooked a detail that was critical. Once I put the instruction in the Slot instead of where another bag mod writer had put it, it seems to work quite well, overall. I am now having only one strange problem, but the bags are staying put. For some odd reason, an 11-slot box is being treated as a 16-slot box which produces a huge border at the bottom, but the 9-, 10- and 12-slot boxes and bags are drawn properly.
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_inventory_bag.xml (9.5 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 05-22-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Unread 05-22-2005, 01:14 AM
aka Mook

Well, Firefox works fine for me in uploading attachements.

At any rate, I'm glad that you were able to locate and repair the problem you posted about earlier. As for the 11th slot, I dunno. The only advice I can offer is to copy the OnShow from Slot 8 to slots 9-11.
Unread 05-22-2005, 11:28 AM
A Sea Turtle

Ok, I figured out what the problem was with Firefox. I had to allow popups, which I normally have blocked for all sites.

I also figured out the problem with the bags not drawing properly. I was off on my Y dimension by 1 or 2. I have attached the corrected version of the mod which now draws all size bags and boxes properly as far as I can tell - just in case someone else out there is like me and would like to have it.

I do have one other question. I noticed that this has no effect on the bags in the the House Vault. What UI file do I have to modify to make them stay put? I haven't seen any mods on the site for the House Vault at all.
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_inventory_bag.xml (9.5 KB, 371 views)
Unread 05-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Quote:
First, let me apologize for not including my mod with the original post, but I simply did not think about it since I am new to this forum. It would not let me attach the file unless I used Internet Explorer instead of my preferred browser Firefox, but I have attached the mod this time.
I use the latest Firefox too and can upload attachments just fine. The forums are a 100% W3C xhtml complient. Everything has been tested in IE, FireFox, Kde Konqueror, Mac Safari, etc.
Unread 05-22-2005, 10:47 PM
aka Mook

I've got no clue on the house vault. Maybe each slot borrows the location of a bank vault (and not the ones you'd want it to), so it keeps resetting... *shrug* no way for me to test either.
Unread 05-25-2005, 06:56 PM
A Sea Turtle

Exclamation

I finally figured out what the real problem was with the borders at the bottoms of the bags. In your Step 2 you said:
Quote:
Step 2: It's also necessary to set the first bag slot in each row to Visible="false" and OnShow="Parent.Size=(X,Y) Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y)", where (X,Y) is the size that the bag should be when that slot's row is shown. If you don't do this, then the window will do it's resize-down-from-default size from that bag's saved size and you won't see your bag windows.
Unfortunately, you left out a factor that I found by looking at Jaxel's 6-slot wide bag mod (I want to be sure and give him credit for this here). You have to add:
Parent.Size=(X,Y) Parent.MinimumSize=(X,Y) Parent.MaximumSize=(X,Y)
Without including the maximum size parameter, I could not get rid of the border problem whenever I moved a bag or added a new bag. With it, that problem is gone. So, thanks to you AND Jaxel, the bags now both Stay Put and Stay Sized.