EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 04-16-2005, 08:28 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere
Default In Game Timer (Reminder)

If you need an ingame timer for a mod, here is an idea.

I created an ingame macro to remind me when it was time to do my MakeShift Arrows ability. I am forever running out of arrows because I forget to press the icon, when it's refreshed.

So now I have reminder that goes off every 10 minutes, to remind me to to do it.

The alarm session monitor window could be easily modded for what ever you need, if you need some type of reminder to do something ever certain amount of time.

It's probably possible to make a stop watch or something for people. Which I have seen request for.

Here is the macro I made. Recast on MakeShift Arrows is 600seconds.

I'm sure I'll be posting some sort of mod for this at some point, but someone else will probably beat me to it. It will be an easy one so I thought I would toss out the idea for you guys to play with.

Quote:
Line#1 /useability MakeShift Arrows
Line#2 /r_alrm_sess_dur_minutes 11.0
Line#3 /alarm_restart_sess_dur_alarm
This does the ability and resets the alarm timer for 11 minutes, and restarts it.
So in 11 minutes I get a popup message.
I plan to make the pop-up window the MakeShift Arrows Icon, that can be pressed, to do the macro, or make it similiar to the on screen messages.

So there is a timer we can use if anyone needs one.

DISCLAIMER: I in NO WAY condone using this for ANY type of automatic or unattended use of abilities, which would be in violation of the EULA, this is only intended to be a reminder alarm.

Last edited by Kosmos : 04-17-2005 at 01:11 PM. Reason: To Correct a Typo
Unread 04-16-2005, 12:54 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

/drool

nice find. I knew the timers could be use. glad someone wasn't too lazy to figure it out
Unread 04-16-2005, 01:14 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42
/drool

nice find. I knew the timers could be use. glad someone wasn't too lazy to figure it out
Ding, Arrows are done!
Unread 04-17-2005, 08:47 AM
A Griffon

I played last night for a few hours and I'm up to my arse in MakeShift Carbonite Arrows now! LOL.
Unread 04-17-2005, 10:33 AM
A Griffon

Default Automatically using abilities violates the EULA?

Automatically using abilities violates the EULA? Why, that would macros actually useful . Not being able to macro-trigger an ability has been one of biggest gripes in this game.
Unread 04-17-2005, 11:35 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by metavirus
Automatically using abilities violates the EULA? Why, that would macros actually useful . Not being able to macro-trigger an ability has been one of biggest gripes in this game.
The way I understand it, Having a reminder message pop up and tell you to a spell is ready to use again, is no different that when the icons in your maintained window start to flash to let you know they are about to expire.

BUT.. having any hardware or software that actually DOES the ability for you, without your actually useing a keyboard key, or a mouse click, is in direct violation of the EULA.

If you walk away, and the buff or ability keeps getting triggered on a regular interval that is in violation of the EULA, at least as far as I am concerned.
Unread 04-17-2005, 11:37 AM
A Griffon

Server: Mistmoore
Send a message via ICQ to Dadditude Send a message via AIM to Dadditude Send a message via MSN to Dadditude Send a message via Yahoo to Dadditude

I tried this, but it keeps telling me, "Unknown command: 'alrm_restart_sess_dur_alarm'" - did I enter it incorrectly or something?
Unread 04-17-2005, 11:42 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadditude
I tried this, but it keeps telling me, "Unknown command: 'alrm_restart_sess_dur_alarm'" - did I enter it incorrectly or something?

I will double check when I get home.

It might be /alrm_restart_sess_dur_alrm

Makesure you have the "/" in front of it also.
Unread 04-17-2005, 11:48 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

type part of it in and hit tab, it should autofinish or give possible matches.
Unread 04-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Steward of the Faithful
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

It's /alarm_reset_sess_dur_alarm. And this is just to make sure I'm over the minimum post size.
Unread 04-17-2005, 01:15 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
It's /alarm_reset_sess_dur_alarm. And this is just to make sure I'm over the minimum post size.
Ok I fixed the post. Sorry for the typo.
Unread 04-17-2005, 02:27 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos
The way I understand it, Having a reminder message pop up and tell you to a spell is ready to use again, is no different that when the icons in your maintained window start to flash to let you know they are about to expire.

BUT.. having any hardware or software that actually DOES the ability for you, without your actually useing a keyboard key, or a mouse click, is in direct violation of the EULA.

If you walk away, and the buff or ability keeps getting triggered on a regular interval that is in violation of the EULA, at least as far as I am concerned.
I haven't compared the EULAs yet, but in Galaxies, the ability to 'automatically trigger buffs/abilities' is built into the game with the excellent macro system. For some reason, many nice features such as the macro system from Galaxies never made it across the SOE corporate floor into EQ2.

If someone figured out a way to extend the usefullness of macros in EQ2, using the tools and software that exist ingame and are provided by SOE, I'm not sure how that would violate anything. As long as you aren't using 3rd party tools.

Maybe I'm totally wrong here?
Unread 04-17-2005, 02:33 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarny
I haven't compared the EULAs yet, but in Galaxies, the ability to 'automatically trigger buffs/abilities' is built into the game with the excellent macro system. For some reason, many nice features such as the macro system from Galaxies never made it across the SOE corporate floor into EQ2.

If someone figured out a way to extend the usefullness of macros in EQ2, using the tools and software that exist ingame and are provided by SOE, I'm not sure how that would violate anything. As long as you aren't using 3rd party tools.

Maybe I'm totally wrong here?
Well, it wouldn't be that hard with this and an OnShow event, but I am not sure that falls into the spirit of the game. That is why I have mine just as a reminder.
Unread 04-17-2005, 11:18 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Default played with this a bit

played with this a bit, but i give up for now. attached is the window i've ended with, not really functional atm.

punching numbers into the fields should let you set the alarm, but i think i've done something wrong, the button only ever takes the intial value of the field, hoping there's another way to do it or someway to get it to update - i've been doing it like this - r_alrm_sess_dur_minutes=parent.setminutes.text

other than that was kind of hoping to have a field you could input a command, or maybe a skill, but i can't seem to get the game to do anything with it, tried putting all manner of things in, so again i imagine i might have it setup wrong, or there's the fact its still not clear to me how to run commands. slash commands with parameters = have two of them, slash command w/o parameters = just in there plain or doubled?

since it seems complicated to get the commands run right i'm thinking if i go any further with this might be good to gather what people would want to do with it and create a dropbox for the common skills, skills are atleast pretty easy.
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_popup_usagealarm.xml (7.5 KB, 454 views)
Unread 04-18-2005, 05:53 AM
A Green Troll
Featured

Server: Blackburrow
Send a message via Yahoo to Zonx

I'd have to check the EQ2 EULA, but EQ1's EULA only prohibited "Unattended" Macroing/advancement.

The rule of thumb was 15min. So long as you responded to a GM tell on suspicion of Macroing within 15min, you were fine.

Of corse using Macro progs that hack the client violates the EULA for other reasons, but a programmable GamePad is totally legit
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:35 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Quote:
9. You may not use any software to modify the Software to change Game play. You may not create, facilitate, host, link to or provide any other means through which the Game may be played by others, such as through server emulators. You may not decrypt or modify any data transmitted between client and server and you may not use, post, host or distribute macros, “bots” or other programs which would allow unattended game play or which otherwise impact game play. You may not take any action which imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. You may not buy, sell or auction (or host or facilitate the ability to allow others to buy, sell or auction) any Game account, characters, items, coin or copyrighted material or any other intellectual property owned or controlled by us or our licensors without first obtaining our express written permission.
"and you may not use, post, host or distribute macros"

Just because something is not meant to be 'unattended' doesn't mean that it can't be. I would say, just get off the subject of anything that automatically uses your skills, whether your sitting their playing or not. A window that pops up and allows you to push the button should be fine, or just reminds you to use a button, may it already be on your hotkey bar.
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
A Griffon

Quote:

Just because something is not meant to be 'unattended' doesn't mean that it can't be. I would say, just get off the subject of anything that automatically uses your skills, whether your sitting their playing or not. A window that pops up and allows you to push the button should be fine, or just reminds you to use a button, may it already be on your hotkey bar.
I would say that you and I are in agreement on that one Drumstix.
Unread 04-18-2005, 12:24 PM
A Green Troll
Featured

Server: Blackburrow
Send a message via Yahoo to Zonx

Yah the catch here is distributing stuff that could be used for unatended play. Using Macros for attended play is legit, but distributing them isn't since you can't control how they will be used.

Main reason I haven't developed and distributed an auto-crafting mod. I know how to build one that would automatically counter events, but I aint gonna pass it around
Unread 04-18-2005, 02:47 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonx
Yah the catch here is distributing stuff that could be used for unatended play. Using Macros for attended play is legit, but distributing them isn't since you can't control how they will be used.

Main reason I haven't developed and distributed an auto-crafting mod. I know how to build one that would automatically counter events, but I aint gonna pass it around
Aye!

Not to mention the fact that I would be buggered if I had some automacro running that did makeshift arrows when I'm sneaking around Agro Central..

DOH!!
Unread 04-19-2005, 01:09 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

Quote:

Allow me to beat this dead horse some more

First of all, the wording of that paragraph from the EULA is not something you can take in parts without considering the full intent behind the wording. Quoting only the section that says "..you may not use, post, host or distribute macros.." would tell me that I can't even use the macro system that is built into the game, because I'm not allowed to use macros. But, that isn't what it says.

"..you may not use, post, host or distribute macros, “bots” or other programs which would allow unattended game play.." Now that you quote the entire sentence, it changes the meaning to something that makes way more sense.

A mod that allows you to use timers to trigger commands is not itself a macro.. distributing the ABILITY to make macros doesn't conflict at all with that quote from the EULA. If a user used that mod to break the EULA, then shame on that user. The mod would still allow great things to be done by legitimate users.

Sort of like having Windows Scripting Host installed on my computer doesn't violate the EULA. But, if I used it to make a script that violates the EULA, then that would be bad. Bad, but not Microsoft's fault for making WSH.

Anyhow, nice find, and I hope someone uses it for something good that doesn't violate the EULA

On that note, I'd love to see a mod that triggers a 14 minute timer when I cast Breeze, and pops up a message reminding me to recast it within one minute

Last edited by Killarny : 04-19-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Unread 04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I'm not a ranger myself so i never had this problem myself.
But when i got my new imbued ring with an agility buff, i reminded myself of this old thread.
I always forget to recast the agility buff of the ring (25 minute timer) so i thought this macro might be quite nice to remind myself. unfortunately, i do not know how to cast the agility buff with a command.
/useability might work for combat arts like makeshift weapon, but it doesn't for items. The spell is called "Flare Of Agility" but if i try to /useability it, i get an error message "could not find spellbook entry"

Perhaps i can activate the buff with the proper command for activitating my left or right ring item, but i dont know the proper name?

edit:
Well, i found a command that sounds promising:
/use_equipped_item
But unfortunately it does nothing for me so far.
i tried /use_equipped_item left_ring or left ring or right_ring or right ring. Nothing. Not even an error message.

Last edited by zaboron : 04-25-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Unread 04-25-2005, 10:27 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaboron
I'm not a ranger myself so i never had this problem myself.
But when i got my new imbued ring with an agility buff, i reminded myself of this old thread.
I always forget to recast the agility buff of the ring (25 minute timer) so i thought this macro might be quite nice to remind myself. unfortunately, i do not know how to cast the agility buff with a command.
/useability might work for combat arts like makeshift weapon, but it doesn't for items. The spell is called "Flare Of Agility" but if i try to /useability it, i get an error message "could not find spellbook entry"

Perhaps i can activate the buff with the proper command for activitating my left or right ring item, but i dont know the proper name?

edit:
Well, i found a command that sounds promising:
/use_equipped_item
But unfortunately it does nothing for me so far.
i tried /use_equipped_item left_ring or left ring or right_ring or right ring. Nothing. Not even an error message.

I also have this problem with my ring.
I use the timer as a reminder the moment, but I'm going to dig up a thread that may help you with this.

The problem is the index number for the items changes much like the index number for maintained spells.
Unread 04-25-2005, 10:29 AM
A Griffon

Posted by Dischordio on the Official EQ Forums UI section.

I simply have just not had any time to fart wit this.

Quote:
its just /inventory equip XXXXX (xxxxx is the item number). Note that the item numbers are semi- dynamic- if you do /inventory move 1 0 1 1 (item number, inventory|bank|autobank|autoinventory, destination slot, quanity) the item "1" will now be empty, and that item will now have a new number one greater than the previously last item. so if you had 30 items, it would become number 31. when you zone, the numbers reset.

the possible parameters for /inventory:
/inventory move W X Y Z as described above
/inventory equip X see above
/inventory pop moves item from overflow to inventory
/inventory delete X self explanitory
/inventory swap [depreciated- recoginized by game, but no longer functional]

the fastest way to determine your item numbers is just to go through the list until you get to 'cannot equip from overflow'.
ie: /inventory equip 1 (you'll get a message 'item XXXX isn't equipable'...unless it is, in which case, heh, well, you'll equip it). BTW, this not only includes carried inventory, but bank, shared, and house vault.
Unread 04-25-2005, 11:29 AM
A Griffon

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Yahoo to dc_roenfanz

Hehehe. I could care less about abilities or anything,as most of mine are combat type stuff. All I hafta do for that is watch my hotkeys. However, I am FOREVER forgetting to eat food. So some sort of macro/window that pops up reminding my sorry self to eat would be nice.
Unread 04-25-2005, 11:33 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_roenfanz
Hehehe. I could care less about abilities or anything,as most of mine are combat type stuff. All I hafta do for that is watch my hotkeys. However, I am FOREVER forgetting to eat food. So some sort of macro/window that pops up reminding my sorry self to eat would be nice.

The macro I posted at the top can be set for any mount of minutes.

Just adjust it for how long your food will last.

This only uses one timer, but deathbane has a mod he is working on for multiple adjustable timers, which will probably work much better than this.