EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Dev Shack

Unread 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Looks great Rothgar. I'd say stick with that, and any "improvements" can always be made down the line with more overall feedback from in-game testing
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:53 AM
A Dragoon Sith
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I 'll add my 2cts:

I even created an add-on for ProfitUI to use this functionality before gm9 implemented it by himself. I really like it; esp. the list of the latest updated quests.

But, I would still like your new system even more as long as the "history" would include at least 3 quests. If that is the case I think that you would not need the old system any more.
Unread 10-14-2009, 12:21 PM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
1) Currently the new active quest window will show the quest name and what is required for the current stage of the quest. So for quests like "Kill 10 rats (1/10)" It'll be pretty simple. But if the current stage of the quest requires that you do 10 separate things that you can do in any order, it will get quite long. I'm not sure yet if I want to display all of them and have the rest scroll down or display the first "X" steps of the stage and require you to open the journal to see the rest. As soon as I get it all working I'll take a look at it and evaluate it then. I might consider an expand/collapse option that would toggle between showing the first 3 and showing all.

2) My current plan is to automatically remove a quest from the active list when its completed. You should never be able to get a completed quest in that list. Keep in mind that completed means you just turned it in and got the reward, not that you need to go back and hail to get the reward. If you still need to go back and hail, the quest is technically not completed yet and will remain in the list.

3) Yes, clicking the the name of the quest will open the journal to that quest.
1) I was assuming that only the next step would be displayed in the quest, so it looks like you are already doing this.
2) Ahh I did not know you were going to auto-remove quests after completion. So disregard this point of mine.
3) Sounds good, and its implemented currently this way. I know there is a third party add-on to connect to a browser, so thats where I was going with that point.

Let me ask a few dumb questions if I may. Assume that you have a limit of five quests in the active quest window. Currently all five are displayed with the five last updates. You get a new active update, what happens? I can see a couple of possibilities -
1) scroll the earliest active quest off the screen.
2) scroll the latest active quest off the screen.
3) can you give the possibility of 'pinning' a quest to make sure that it never scrolls off?
4) can you give a way to sort the active quests by update time? Thus the latest updates are at the top of list?
5) Will there be a way to 'highlight' the latest update (i.e. change the font size and richness to bold 12 point, for example?)

Thanks for your time.
Unread 10-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwieland View Post
Let me ask a few dumb questions if I may. Assume that you have a limit of five quests in the active quest window. Currently all five are displayed with the five last updates. You get a new active update, what happens? I can see a couple of possibilities -
3) can you give the possibility of 'pinning' a quest to make sure that it never scrolls off?
4) can you give a way to sort the active quests by update time? Thus the latest updates are at the top of list?
5) Will there be a way to 'highlight' the latest update (i.e. change the font size and richness to bold 12 point, for example?)

Thanks for your time.
Unless I've misunderstood what Rothgar is planning, it is YOU that dictates which quests are "active" and tracked by the window. So if for some reason it has a limit of 5, then that's it. If you happen to get an update for a quest it's not tracking, it would not force any of the quests that you are tracking off. The only way that would happen is if you decided to track that quest (and assuming there was a limit, you'd have to stop tracking a different quest).

But from my understand the game at no point will decide to make you start tracking a quest and stop tracking an old quest (unless you complete a quest of course, at which point it stops tracking it since there are no more steps).
Unread 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

Quote:

Thanks for your time.
If he is modeling it after the way Aion modeled theirs; then you will pick what quest will be in the active quest window by pinning them to it. Nothing is randomly put there by the game.

When you get a new quest or update a quest it will que that quest in the active quest window by flashing the quest name in the active quest window, if the limit is met or not and If not already pinned there. At this time you have a chance to pin the quest to the active quest window. You can also go into the main journal and pin and unpin any quest from there. The entire system is really jazzy!

Last edited by Landiin : 10-14-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Unread 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
Obviously this means that the text associated with each quest will have to be truncated a little bit if its too long.
I think this new window sounds cool and can't wait for it. There is one enhancement i would like to see if at all possible.

Rothgar mentioned that he would have to truncate the quest text in the new window, and clicking or double click the name of the quest would open the quest journal as it does right now. Would it also be possible to show the full text in a mouse over? also be able to turn this feture on and off? I know i would like but my girl friend would hate something like this. If the mouse over would not work then perhaps single click to see text and double click to see open journal?
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:01 PM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
Unless I've misunderstood what Rothgar is planning, it is YOU that dictates which quests are "active" and tracked by the window. So if for some reason it has a limit of 5, then that's it. If you happen to get an update for a quest it's not tracking, it would not force any of the quests that you are tracking off. The only way that would happen is if you decided to track that quest (and assuming there was a limit, you'd have to stop tracking a different quest).

But from my understand the game at no point will decide to make you start tracking a quest and stop tracking an old quest (unless you complete a quest of course, at which point it stops tracking it since there are no more steps).
Would there be an option then to auto-track if there is a limit and you received an update? If not, then the active quest window will be blank by default until a user intervenes to manually track a quest. Or it will auto-track every quest when accepted. I would probably prefer the latter option, especially since I can be... ummm... absent-minded shall we say? lol

At times I would certainly like to see an update in the active quest helper without having to manually enable the quest, especially since I cannot track 50+ quests if my journal is full. However, I would like to see a filter as well. I may think that L&L quests never need to be tracked, but others want to track L&L's - I am sure you get the idea.
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:06 PM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiin View Post
If he is modeling it after the way Aion modeled theirs; then you will pick what quest will be in the active quest window by pinning them to it. Nothing is randomly put there by the game.

When you get a new quest or update a quest it will que that quest in the active quest window by flashing the quest name in the active quest window, if the limit is met or not and If not already pinned there. At this time you have a chance to pin the quest to the active quest window. You can also go into the main journal and pin and unpin any quest from there. The entire system is really jazzy!
Yep that makes sense, and seems very snazzy indeed.
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Would there be an option then to auto-track if there is a limit and you received an update? If not, then the active quest window will be blank by default until a user intervenes to manually track a quest. Or it will auto-track every quest when accepted. I would probably prefer the latter option, especially since I can be... ummm... absent-minded shall we say? lol

At times I would certainly like to see an update in the active quest helper without having to manually enable the quest, especially since I cannot track 50+ quests if my journal is full. However, I would like to see a filter as well. I may think that L&L quests never need to be tracked, but others want to track L&L's - I am sure you get the idea.
See what Landiin said. It may be exactly like that, with an option to 'pin' it there popping up for a time. No way to be 100% sure until Rothgar has it done, though.
Unread 10-15-2009, 03:10 AM
A Dragoon Sith

The only problem I see is that sometimes killing one mob updates more then one quest. So just flashing one name will not work for EQ2. The only way to solve that in EQ2, I can think of is to have (an optional) list of latest updated quests (just names) at the top or bottom of the window, that can be used to add quests to the Active Quest Window. (Could also be only visible on mouse over).
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

I don't see how multi updates will cause any issues. Just que all the quests that got updated.
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:01 AM
A Dragoon Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiin View Post
I don't see how multi updates will cause any issues. Just que all the quests that got updated.
There was no mention that the quests would be queued by themselves, but only the names would flash for a short time, so you could add them manually.

An example:
You fight a group of three mobs. The 1st mob updates two quests, flashing their names while you are still fighting and the 3rd mob updates an other quest. It is very likely, that you won't have time to add these quests while you are still fighting.
So now you have a chance to add the 3rd quest (as the fight is now over), but if you do not have a list of the last updated quests you will have to open your quest book and search for these two quests, that might even be listed in different categories.

That is why I ask for some data element that lists the last updated quests. It does not need be to visible all the time, but there should be an easy way to access it with the mouse and the keyboard.

Also some a shortcut / command to add the last updated quest to the active quest window and a command that lists the last updated quests might be really helpful.
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calain80 View Post
There was no mention that the quests would be queued by themselves, but only the names would flash for a short time, so you could add them manually.

An example:
You fight a group of three mobs. The 1st mob updates two quests, flashing their names while you are still fighting and the 3rd mob updates an other quest. It is very likely, that you won't have time to add these quests while you are still fighting.
If done right all u will have to do is click a check box to pin. So no you shouldn't miss it unless you have a VERY slow reaction time.. In that case u can go into the main journal after the fight and add it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calain80 View Post
So now you have a chance to add the 3rd quest (as the fight is now over), but if you do not have a list of the last updated quests you will have to open your quest book and search for these two quests, that might even be listed in different categories.

That is why I ask for some data element that lists the last updated quests. It does not need be to visible all the time, but there should be an easy way to access it with the mouse and the keyboard.

Also some a shortcut / command to add the last updated quest to the active quest window and a command that lists the last updated quests might be really helpful.
I would think adding a filter "List by last updated" to the main journal would fix this issue.

Again this is just all speculation and I am going off of the way some other games have implemented this kind of mechanics. You really have to see it in action to understand how simple it is. It isn't like it flashes the quest 1 or 2 times and goes away.. I'd say most use a slow 5 count before the quest is removed if not pinned. So you will have more then enough time to pin/unpin quest if needed.
Unread 10-15-2009, 12:35 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

A filter for sorting by last updated (via the Journal window) would be a nice addition either way I think
Unread 10-17-2009, 04:58 PM
A Griffon

The drop-down arrow in the upper right corner of the current profit window shows the last few updated quests, so if we are losing that, there has to be something to replace it, because that is something I do use all the time to figure out what updated.

It is not on a timer, so it does not go away (unless you log out or something like that)
Unread 10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Can we also get a quest guide system with this? Think Lotro, Aion, or AOC where the area on the map where the quest goal is, is highlighted. Or something like the WoW add on Questhelper? Of course, make it where it can be turned off so those that don't want it don't need it.
Unread 10-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrthnStar5 View Post
Can we also get a quest guide system with this? Think Lotro, Aion, or AOC where the area on the map where the quest goal is, is highlighted. Or something like the WoW add on Questhelper? Of course, make it where it can be turned off so those that don't want it don't need it.
Thats what EQ2MAP is for. I know one thing Rothgar wanted to do was allow us to link POIs directly to quests (so that they don't show when you're not on that quest but do show up when you want them to -- when you're doing that quest).
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrthnStar5 View Post
Like lordebon stated; that is already on EQ2MAP. I understand that a lot feel that its so cluttered with POI that it's practically useless in a lot of cases. So what you have to do is just filter POI's you don't need out. Granted most of the cluttered is do to quest POI's but it does help. Helps seeing the flashing book for quest updates too
Unread 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown

Would it be easy to add a sort-by-last-completed option on the quests completed tab? That way a recently completed quest would be easy to reference, as in -trying to find where u are in a solo timeline
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Tweeted by Rothgar and then retweeted, here's an image of the improved quest helper.

http://www.gregsplace.com/blogimages/quest_helper.jpg

Looking good, Rothgar.
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:02 AM
A Griffon

Server: Splitpaw

That is very nice looking..
Maybe a little rip off, but who cares, we like it
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Yeah, looking good. How does it choose the order in which its displayed? Lasted update on top?

OT: Can we see the contents of the "Storylines" tab????

Last edited by Dolby : 11-05-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Unread 11-05-2009, 03:52 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Nice, I'm glad to see the very spacious icons removed from the active quest helper window for this. Definitely a space saver!
Though I could already suggest being able to move the numbers to the beginning of the description to let the eyes do less searching
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Yeah, looking good. How does it choose the order in which its displayed? Lasted update on top?

OT: Can we see the contents of the "Storylines" tab????
Yeah, I saw that too and wondered... I think he might not have realized we have no idea what that is when he posted the full screenshot, hehe.

As for Order... I'm going to guess that was the order he checked the boxes, but no way to be sure yet.
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:25 AM
A Griffon

Server: Splitpaw

still have 2 unanswered question here

What is the storyline tab and when do we get the new window go live ?