EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

View Poll Results: Should the site stick with the white/blue interface or one like the dark forum theme?
White/Blue 7 14.00%
White/Blue but change the ugly dark colored tables! 4 8.00%
Darker, like the Dark forum theme. 20 40.00%
Have them both! 19 38.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Unread 02-15-2005, 12:00 AM
a hedgehog
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to tonyis3l33t Send a message via Yahoo to tonyis3l33t

haha! i love the mouseover!

bye-bye other guy...
Unread 02-15-2005, 05:17 AM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

Thats what I wanted to be hearing.
Unread 02-15-2005, 07:27 AM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
Eloa and taco-man... oh... my... gosh...
maps.eq2interface.com is freaking amazing. I hadn't been there all weekend, busy and junk, and I stopped by to check out how things were going.

I about passed out from amazement. It's like this awesome, I don't know, mapping thing that's just more amazing than I can explain. Wow. Lacking words.

Quib
Why...thank you Quib. I really dont know what to say. That's probably the nicest thing I've ever heard.
Unread 02-15-2005, 07:59 AM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Comments sytem is working perfectly. Users may mark the POI as bad (Pending status, which will not be generated with XML) when they post a comment. This will automatically append to their comment that it has reflected a change in the status of the POI.

Admins may view that POI and mark it as good which will automatically insert a comment stating that the POI has been fixed and certified corrected.

Quib, are the XML file styles going to change at all or are they fixed like that and we can start generatign the files?
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:53 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Success!
Blackburrow now generates the XML file 100% correctly. The generated file is identical to the file in the release version, besides more POI's, which is the point of this system!
More/ALL are soon to follow!
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:23 PM
A Griffon

There's gonna be one tiny eeficiency change to all the multi layer maps (blackburrow, stormhold, the caves and the upcoming nektropos castle) but other than that the icon page format is set in stone. Attaching the new versions so you can see the change. I just removed some unnecessary properies from the child page objects.

Other than that, we're good to go! I'm preparing some example code for Deathbane27 (and Zonx) to show how the EQ2MAP window mods will work, and fully explain why I finally settled on what I did. I did multiple "dummy" tests, having friends who didn't know jack about the UI try setting up 2 seperate systems and had error-less results with one system, and EQ2 failing to load problems (which I had worried about in the first place) with the other.

So we'll be shooting for our first official modular release in a day or two.

Quib
Attached Files
File Type: zip format_example.zip (6.1 KB, 188 views)
Unread 02-16-2005, 11:00 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Awesome, I'll take a look at those files next time I'm on, time to play a while now. Maybe the release after this one will be a web interactive one...
Unread 02-17-2005, 06:15 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Quib, What has actually changed on those pages? Actually I just need the bb one since thats all I have code written for. It'd help me out ALOT if you could give me find/replace statements for the changes. Thanks
Unread 02-17-2005, 08:29 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle

Great job on the maps guys...

Maybe u guys could throw these maps together and put them in, there very nice. http://eq2.gamergod.com/maps.cfm

And for people trying to do Legendary JBoots quest this would be a tremendous help if these maps could be put in as well. http://www.friendsnfun.net/forum/for...p?TID=454&PN=1

Just my 2c
Unread 02-18-2005, 02:56 AM
a hedgehog

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to tonyis3l33t Send a message via Yahoo to tonyis3l33t

vroxx,
i saved the runnyeye map to hard drive, could be VERY useful when i / whoever finally gets to that zone to do our own /loc.

The JBoots deal is something i planned on doing before, but honestly think it should be a part of Eloa's quest mod.

And you posted an off topic thread on this post, shame shame and here i am answering you Please try to find a relevant post to your question, if there is none just start a new one in the eq2map forum
Unread 02-19-2005, 01:20 AM
A Coastal Crab

The maps already exist on the gry-online website. perhaps some form of partnership with eq2interface and gry-online would speed up the addition of new maps. The mod could even keep the gry-online's link on the images, to show credit where due.

http://www.***************/eq2/index.asp

Any thoughts on this suggestion?
Unread 02-19-2005, 01:40 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

There was already a dispute, and the owner of those maps got mad when the maps were used. Long story I guess, but basically:

been there, done that.
Unread 02-19-2005, 12:47 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOITAIDAR
The maps already exist on the gry-online website. perhaps some form of partnership with eq2interface and gry-online would speed up the addition of new maps. The mod could even keep the gry-online's link on the images, to show credit where due.

http://www.***************/eq2/index.asp

Any thoughts on this suggestion?
This wont happen. To be honest, most of the maps on gry-online are wrong and/or outdated from being drawn before the public release of the game, the webmaster himself used this as an argument when pushing us away from using his maps.

The whole approach of gry-online, is a web based mapping system, while this is not the case for us. The purpose of the MAP website, is to provide a database that is interactive with the users so they can input POI's into their own game, and everyone else's without having to use the interface editor or edit xml at all.

The maps that are shown ON the website are just a little added bonus since we have all the information on the site anyway.

So in conclusion, it is not just the unwillingness of the site owners to cooperate, its also that our site is providing a much more useful purpose for everyone in EQ2.
Unread 02-20-2005, 10:15 PM
A Griffon

Server: Najena

Just wanted to put in my request to get that in game Runnyeye map made . Plan to spend a lot of time there on my alt and it'd be great to have a reference for all the spawn and quest locations.

Thanks
Unread 02-21-2005, 11:31 AM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

These things dont make themselves. We make maps, not all the POI's. That's what the website's for, submit a few, maybe someone else will submit a few, then before you know it theres a whole collection. It dont take much work, if you're in game and come across something, just jot down the zone, name of it, and the /loc. When you log out, just hit up the site and paste it in. Posting 1 a session is still very helpful.

Site status: The site has gone through very few visible changes in the last week or so. The reason behind this is that I'm working on making it generate all of the files so they have no need to be updated by hand anymore, though with the recent inclusion of z axis map changing, things are getting stretched out a little further.
Unread 02-23-2005, 07:53 AM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Stormhold Level 4 has been added.
Nektropos Castle Level 1 and Level 2 have been added.

Last edited by Eloa : 02-23-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Unread 03-01-2005, 09:33 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak
Default Various issues..

The zonerects for antonica (and the other game-map zones, I suspect) are somewhat off.. I just submitted Keep of the Ardent Needle today, so I know that is a good loc, and it's way off on the mapview. Is this a zonerect problem, or a website problem?

Also, stormhold zones are too stretched out.. you can really tell on Stormhold 3. The map ingame doesn't look like it does on the site - the POI placements are more or less correct as to where the map should line up.
Unread 03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
A Griffon

Is there a check for duplicated POIs? Ive seen a couple of duplicates added, but under different names.. these would have to be manually filtered, but I'm just wondering about dupes in general..
Unread 03-03-2005, 03:22 PM
A Griffon

There's no automatic check, people will need to vote duplicate POIs as bad and we'll remove them.

As for the BFZ (black fogged zones, the outdoor zones SOE provided maps for), yeah their zonerects aren't perfect and the website display of icons and in-game is a little different. We'll eventually get them perfected but right now we're just happy to have decent approximations.

The stormhold maps that are stretched on the website are just outdated versions; we'll get them updated soon.

Quib
Unread 03-04-2005, 05:01 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

I've thought about this a while and dont think we can automatically filter out dupes. These are the ways I could do it and reasons why not to do it:
  • Keep 2 names from being the same on each map
    • if there are 'darkpaw gnolls' on opposite sides of the map, they couldnt both be submitted without a name change to one of them.
  • Dont let the same /loc be entered for two on one map.
    • Very unlikely 2 people will get the same loc in the first place, I could do a proximity check but that might lead to problems with like a group of NPCs huddled together.
All in all. Theres no feasible way to do it that I can find. We'll just have to keep encouraging people to mark them as bad. One automatic way of doing this is as soon as they mark them as bad, they arent in their game anymore, nor anyone elses.
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:05 PM
A Griffon

What about making POIs approvable by admins before they actually show up on the map? At least then we could have a quick human eye to give them a once-over before they get placed.
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:13 PM
A Griffon

Personally, I'd rather cull out bad ones than approve an avalanch of them. It's not that big of a deal if there is a duplicate, it'll get fixed eventually, and having them auto-added to the database means people will get new POIs as soon as someone submits one.

Hm, Eloa or taco-man, what about adding a proximity check that just pops up an alert? It won't stop a new icon if it's too close to another, but we'll be able to tick a "this one's ok" checkbox to get it off the alert list.

Quib
Unread 03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
A Griffon

A few suggestions:

1) Allow the name of a POI to have carriage returns in it - check out POI 478 for an example of why this would be useful.

2) Change the Description field to be an optional field. Most people seem to be duplicating the name field anyway - but the description is nice for quest and activatable objects.

3) In the dropdown list of selectable zones, add an empty entry, for when you are not viewing a map.

4) When you are viewing a map, 'select' the proper name in the dropdown list (or select the empty entry suggested above) - currently the list always shows "Antonica (East)"

5) Please, please, please add the ability for admins to directly edit a POI There are so many POIs that I want to fix!! Please?

6) Stormhold level 3 still has the wrong picture on the website, but I am afraid to use the uploading tool to try to fix it..

Last edited by Killarny : 03-06-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Unread 03-06-2005, 09:11 PM
A Griffon

1) Sounds good to me. This is something on the coding end Eloa or taco-man will have to cover.

2) I definately agree with this one. Like 3/4 of the icons have the same name and description and it drives me nuts. =D

3) For when you first go to maps.eq2interface.com or something? I'm not sure why an empty entry'd be useful.

4) Bugs me too.

5) There is a way for admins to edit them directly but it up to Eloa to disclose with you how. I don't know exactly all the access permissions different people have with maps.eq2interface.com. Earlier I cleaned up a couple pages of POIs (mostly ones with screwed up loc's).

6) I'm 99% sure the upload tool doesn't work for the website maps. The "Map Images" choice is for .DDS files. I want to know how or if I can help keep the website maps up-to-date too.

Quib
Unread 03-06-2005, 09:20 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
3) For when you first go to maps.eq2interface.com or something? I'm not sure why an empty entry'd be useful.
Only for the purpose of making it look a little more professional.. and also since I have a feeling that 4 won't be able to be done the way I suggested, having an empty field as the first choice will allow the box to default to an empty field.