EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 01-09-2020, 02:09 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Crushbone
Default The Overseer Window is a Hot Mess and Could Be Greatly Improved

I have some suggestions to improve the Overseer window. I provided some of this to DBG, but don't plan to hold my breath waiting. Everything I presently know about the Overseer Feature I've documented on the wiki (https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Overseer_Feature)

(1) There's a lot of wasted real estate in the lower half where the Mission details are shown. This could be tightened up a bit.

(2) List all the Missions available, don't make us scroll. If we can only do ten a day, then show at least ten. If you're only giving us seven visible at a time, then show all seven. I don't care as much if the Missions on cooldown are not immediately visible. Maybe make the whole window stretchable, then we could adjust the pane the way we want it?

(3) Show all the Missions we have obtained, even if we can't do them presently. Grey out whichever ones aren't available yet, but let is see what we have and their prospective rewards. The greyed out Missions could sort at the very bottom, after the cooldown Mission.

This one I will guess would be hard, depending on what the API gives us. I'm pretty sure that somewhere there's a list of all the Missions we have obtained, even if it's not dynamic... a static list on a separate tab would be better than not being sure what missions we know about.

(4) Allow us to sort the Missions we have visible by Quest Duration or Alphabetical.

Bonus: allow a sort by the Tier of the reward chests.

There are 12 possible reward chests (see https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Overseer_Reward_Crate). I'm presently working out which Missions reward what chests, but since you can click the little box icon to the right of the name of the missions and see whether the chest is Treasured, Legendary, Fabled, Celestial, or Mythical, in theory we should be able to sort them. If this is possible, I'd like to see the sort actually sort first by the reward tier (best first, worst last), then by duration (longest first, shortest last?)

(5) We can presently sort Agents by Tier. It would be nice to be able to have a "Trait Sort"... maybe clicking the trait in the Mission Detail window could pop a list of available and cooldown agents with that Trait? This would make planning baout which agents to use and when to start a given Mission a little more intelligent.
Unread 01-10-2020, 06:58 AM
A Griffon

The whole system is cranky and confusing, but your writeup is superior and I know it's going to help a lot of players figure it out.

The file below makes the window resizable vertically, so item (2) should be good unless the server throws a curveball that I didn't expect. Item (1) could be addressed but the problem is that the system seems pretty "live" at the moment. We just had a window update yesterday for example. It's still possible that the window could (hopefully) get more changes, so I would be uneasy about doing anything substantial until it settles down. A static list of all possible missions could be added on a separate tab as kind of a help page, but it would just be a duplicate of the information on your wiki page.

I can already tell you now that any of these sorting suggestions would a) be very useful, b) have to be done from the server side, and c) should be very doable for the developers. I think the devs, rightly, don't want to overwhelm the player with a big spreadsheet of information, even though as you point out it would improve usability. Just being able to sort missions by duration would go a long way.

Lists in this window are like a lot of other UI lists in that all we get is a template for a single line. The template gets used live from the server for however many of those lines you're supposed to get, and after the information gets filled in it's almost impossible to do anything useful with it.

Edit: removed the file since it is no longer compatible. For a more recent version of the modified Overseer window, visit this thread.

Last edited by Darqwood : 03-02-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Unread 01-10-2020, 02:40 PM
A Griffon

Server: Crushbone

Being able to stretch the window is a good start! We'll see if they pay any attention to my recommendations for a bit then.