EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 04-26-2005, 11:18 AM
A Crazed Gnoll
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest
Question SelectedItemIndex help for Market Window

I've been working on a new window that would allow me to hard code some frequently used searches as buttons. The idea is to set the search parameters in the market window, then kick off the search. These would be the searches that I run every time I visit a broker. I borrowed heavily from the code examples in Quib's store window and Kosmos's performance window. I'm 100% sure that I had this working once, then I made what I thought were some cosmetic changes and haven't been able to get it to work again. I'm guessing that the UIBuilder ate some small piece of code somewhere and I am just not seeing what it is. Stupid me for not backing up EVERYTHING before letting UIBuilder see it.

If I use the syntax:
Parent.Parent.Market.ComboItemType.SelectedItemIndex=2
It appears to work fine in the UIBuilder but in game I get a message
Usage" /tellchannel <chanelname. <<message>
Somehow it's not processing it correctly and reads the number as a /2 perhaps?

If I use the syntax:
Parent.Parent.Market.ComboItemType.SelectedItemIndex=2.0
Nothing happens

Reading here on the boards and the documentation, I believe the first (integer) format is correct and I'm sure that's what I was using when I had it working. Does anyone see what could be wrong with this?

I attached my semi-working sample files. I started with the old Mookish market window. I've added an include in the Market window and a placeholder button next to the "Last Page" one to show the MarketSearch window. MarketSearch has the includes for the buttons. Button 1 is syntax 1 above. Button 2 is syntax 2 above.

The sample buttons attached should set the Item Type Drop Down box to "Slash Weapon". I am using the value of 2 for testing purposes because of the issue that Kosmos has been discussing with a SelectedItemIndex of 1 on his quick emotes rewrite. I am sure though that I had both values working. When I first got it working, I was in trial and error mode. I didn't know if they index would start with 1 or 0 and didn't know if Any counted...so I had started working with a value of 2, then when that worked I just changed it down to 1. I did have a successful search, even showed it to my hubby where it set the Item Name to Ebon and type to Miscellaneous.

Side note and secondary question:
I don't always see my window title and close button that are coded in the marketsearch.xml file. Depending on the characters saved selection for Window Frame and Title they seem to disappear. Can anyone tell me why that would be?
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_inventory_market.xml (21.3 KB, 273 views)
File Type: xml eq2ui_inventory_marketsearch.xml (1.5 KB, 253 views)
File Type: xml preset1.xml (655 Bytes, 272 views)
File Type: xml preset2.xml (657 Bytes, 286 views)
Unread 04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Have a look in your eq2ui_mainhud.xml file and make sure there is no duplicate info in there that shouldnt be!

For example with the performance panel when using UI builder if you click on ANY of the buttons it will write that code to the mainhud file and realy does mess things up big time..
Unread 04-26-2005, 11:42 AM
A Griffon

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Yahoo to dc_roenfanz

You might wanna try putting the integers inside quotes or paren's. Also, sometimes UI Builder has an annoying habit of putting slashes in where they shouldnt be. I'll have a look at it myself as soon as i'm done TSing
Unread 04-26-2005, 11:47 AM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Drop down boxes and any type of list box starts with SelectedItemIndex 0 being the first choice.. and so on..

-1 for deselect anything.

I would really have to take a look at the files to give you better help, and I'm at work at the moment.

By the way that is a great idea and implementation of a mod for yourslef. I would try and think about ways you can make it useful for a larger crowd.
Perhaps a parser of text files, or even a guide on what values to change in the XML for your searches.

I've not played with the market window much.

UI builder can really hose things up when you run files in it.
I agree with lafs. First thing to do is check and make sure UI Builder hasn't created duplicates, or made controls out of all your scrips.
I loves to distribute those things in the file if you missed a tag someplace.
Unread 04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
A Griffon

One other thing I thought of.
Many, many of the sliders and list boxes with the UI do not update continuously. Meaning that when you change it with a script, it doesn't actually change the visual aspect of the dropdown box, but it does infact change the value. So still try clicking the search button and see what comes up.

An example of this is with the some of the UI configuration settings.

You can set the value via the command line, but the drop down doesn't change, but when you hit accept, and then check it again.. it has changed.
Unread 04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
A Griffon

Hmm one thing I noticed. When I stick your market window in my DEV folder and open it in UI Builder, everything thats normally after the inventory in the directory tree is now embedded WITHIN inventory.

ie: Normal (without your XML files in directory)::

ROOT
|___NewCharScene
|___Inventory
|___Global
|___Popup
With your XML in the folder:

ROOT
|___NewCharScene
|___Inventory
|___Global
|___Popup
This is a problem. I looked at the scripting on your files, and it doesnt SEEM like they have the <includes> in there (that should be in eq2ui.xml) so i dont know exactly whats going on.
Unread 04-26-2005, 12:30 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

I looked and couldn't find duplicate code. I don't have a modified mainhud or inventory file in my custom UI directory. Placing just these 4 files in a UI directory by themselves it still has the issue. I do have a double include on the button files in the marketsearch file. As for why, well that's how it is in Kosmos's performance window. I'm learning by trial and error and trying to model after others working code. I have tried with single include lines for the buttons and didn't see a difference either way.

Tried ' (single quote) and parens just now, doesn't seem to make a difference.

The control simply isn't setting. The button does include code to execute the search and the search results are unfiltered. (Shows all ebon when it should show only slashing weapons)

dc_roenfanz, I couldn't duplicate the nesting issue you're seeing. I put these 4 files and a copy of the eq2ui.xml file from the default directory into a directory all by itself. Then opened the eq2ui.xml file in UIBuilder. The heirarchy seems fine on my side; looks just like what you show as normal. What other files do you have?

Also, I'm definately hoping to release this for others if I can get it working. That's why I'm making each button a seperate file and including them; for ease of editing. Really the majority of the code in the preset files is the parameters for the search. With a simple guide and some examples I think most people could edit the values themselves. It's beyond my coding, but I think it would be a pretty simple matter if someone wanted to add on to the idea and write a tiny app that let you set the search parms out of game, then wrap the values in the appropriate code to generate the preset files.
Unread 04-26-2005, 12:52 PM
A Griffon

It's difficult for me to do this without the help of the builder lo.

But you may be going up in the tree too far.

The buttons are not actual pages, but buttons only. So they are not really a level.

So you may try Parent.Market instead of Parent.Parent.Market.

Also, you only had the command listed once in this file, and maybe that was the problem.

try this one.
I duplicated the line Parent.Market.ComboItemType.SelectedItemIndex=2

You can also try throwing in the Extra Parent which I removed.
Attached Files
File Type: xml preset1.xml (725 Bytes, 450 views)
Unread 04-26-2005, 12:55 PM
A Griffon

OH yeah, and if you haven't noticed the market window is pretty screwey even when it is not modded.

So there is a really, really good chance you will have to work in some sort of 'reset' function after each search. Or press the reset button before you can use another of your searches.

Perhaps put the reset press in before the search, then do the search.

that way when you click the preset search button, it will reset, then search.
Unread 04-26-2005, 01:04 PM
A Griffon

I found the bug. You had your <include> statement for the MarketSearch window outside the page parameters at the end. I.E.

OLD:
</Page>
<include>eq2ui_inventory_marketsearch.xml</include>

FIXED:
</page>
Unread 04-26-2005, 01:07 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_roenfanz
I found the bug. You had your <include> statement for the MarketSearch window outside the page parameters at the end. I.E.

OLD:
</Page>

FIXED:
</page>

Aye that would do it. I was thinking the was a seperate window that poped up, not a section of buttons within the market window.
Unread 04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
A Griffon

Hmmm... For some reason the MarketSearch isnt Showing up in game. Or rather it does, but as a solid black box only. Somethin imma hafta tinker out. Also, I dont have Kosmos preset parser or quib's quick search store window, so *shrug*
Are you useing default DDS files for how it looks? Hmm... Well I'll keep lookin at it

EDIT: Bah, silly me. When I found that page error, I deleted it, but forgot to reinclude it. Hrmph. Trying it again

Last edited by dc_roenfanz : 04-26-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Unread 04-26-2005, 01:41 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos
Aye that would do it. I was thinking the was a seperate window that poped up, not a section of buttons within the market window.
It is a seperate window that pops up. For some reason, though being outside the page messed up the page tree. Moving it inside the page fixes the problem with the nesting, but doesn't fix the fact that my window shows up black alla time.
Unread 04-26-2005, 01:49 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
It is a seperate window that pops up. For some reason, though being outside the page messed up the page tree. Moving it inside the page fixes the problem with the nesting, but doesn't fix the fact that my window shows up black alla time.
If it is a seperate window that pops up the include statement needs to be outisde the page tags.

The presets buttons are not 'pages' therefore they can go INSIDE the page tags.
Unread 04-26-2005, 01:57 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djanee
I've been working on a new window that would allow me to hard code some frequently used searches as buttons. The idea is to set the search parameters in the market window, then kick off the search. These would be the searches that I run every time I visit a broker. I borrowed heavily from the code examples in Quib's store window and Kosmos's performance window. I'm 100% sure that I had this working once, then I made what I thought were some cosmetic changes and haven't been able to get it to work again. I'm guessing that the UIBuilder ate some small piece of code somewhere and I am just not seeing what it is. Stupid me for not backing up EVERYTHING before letting UIBuilder see it.

If I use the syntax:
Parent.Parent.Market.ComboItemType.SelectedItemIndex=2
It appears to work fine in the UIBuilder but in game I get a message
Usage" /tellchannel <chanelname. <<message>
Somehow it's not processing it correctly and reads the number as a /2 perhaps?

If I use the syntax:
Parent.Parent.Market.ComboItemType.SelectedItemIndex=2.0
Nothing happens

Reading here on the boards and the documentation, I believe the first (integer) format is correct and I'm sure that's what I was using when I had it working. Does anyone see what could be wrong with this?

I attached my semi-working sample files. I started with the old Mookish market window. I've added an include in the Market window and a placeholder button next to the "Last Page" one to show the MarketSearch window. MarketSearch has the includes for the buttons. Button 1 is syntax 1 above. Button 2 is syntax 2 above.

The sample buttons attached should set the Item Type Drop Down box to "Slash Weapon". I am using the value of 2 for testing purposes because of the issue that Kosmos has been discussing with a SelectedItemIndex of 1 on his quick emotes rewrite. I am sure though that I had both values working. When I first got it working, I was in trial and error mode. I didn't know if they index would start with 1 or 0 and didn't know if Any counted...so I had started working with a value of 2, then when that worked I just changed it down to 1. I did have a successful search, even showed it to my hubby where it set the Item Name to Ebon and type to Miscellaneous.

Side note and secondary question:
I don't always see my window title and close button that are coded in the marketsearch.xml file. Depending on the characters saved selection for Window Frame and Title they seem to disappear. Can anyone tell me why that would be?
Now that I have effectively dug myself out of my own stupidty, I have some feedback, of sorts. Both Search1 and Search2 successfully searched for Ebon Slashing weapons.

By the way. UI builder automatically switched the <include>inventory_marketsearch.xml</include> from inventory_market.xml to inventory.xml
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:02 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Now that I have effectively dug myself out of my own stupidty, I have some feedback, of sorts. Both Search1 and Search2 successfully searched for Ebon Slashing weapons.

By the way. UI builder automatically switched the <include>inventory_marketsearch.xml</include> from inventory_market.xml to inventory.xml
Can you post the files?
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
A Griffon

Sure thang. Also includeing a screenshot of what the windows look like for your convenience and clarity.

You'll see down at the bottom the Show button, which brings up the Saved Search page. Click on Search1 or Search2 and it auto-enters stuff into appropriate dropdowns, AND cues the search. Im sure you knew that though. Very nifty, in any case. Couldn't figure out how to save my own search, but im guessing that hasnt been included yet.

Without any further ado

EDIT: Forgot my eq2ui_* header before the xml filenames in the last post. You knew what i meant though. Hehe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	2500  
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:26 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Sure thang. Also includeing a screenshot of what the windows look like for your convenience and clarity.

You'll see down at the bottom the Show button, which brings up the Saved Search page. Click on Search1 or Search2 and it auto-enters stuff into appropriate dropdowns, AND cues the search. Im sure you knew that though. Very nifty, in any case. Couldn't figure out how to save my own search, but im guessing that hasnt been included yet.

Without any further ado

EDIT: Forgot my eq2ui_* header before the xml filenames in the last post. You knew what i meant though. Hehe!
Glad that it is working for you.

To make you own searches you would have to create you own buttons. the settings are in the preset1.xml and preset2.xml files.
I'm sure the mod creater will be fixiing this up a bit for everyone.

But It's a nifty little tool, and great idea!
Unread 04-26-2005, 04:17 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

It's all about where the include is! *smacks self*

When I was first playing with this I had the include up in the top of the file where the button was. I was having trouble that it wouldn't recognize the buttonstyles...I got the black box that dc_roenfanz was describing. After seeing what he/she did to get it working (move the include into the inventory.xml) file, I tried moving it back up to the top of the market.xml file but before the opening page. This *does* work. It also has the benefit of keeping the number of modded files down. I was trying to stay away from modifying too high up in the heirarchy if I didn't absolutely need to.

I'm still having that flakey side issue where the title and close button don't show if they frame setting is used. I'll see if I can figure that out. Perhaps that has to do with include placement as well since the buttons are between those controls and the frame/backdrop controls.

Thanks dc_roenfanz and Kosmos for lookin at this. At least I'm back on track for the show stopper one.
Unread 04-26-2005, 04:45 PM
A Griffon

The additional problems you are having are simple to fix, you will just have to move things around in the tree with UI Builder probably.

I know it's a beast, but once you understand how it works, it's so much easier to use and change things.

it's like they always say.

Location, Location, Location.
Unread 04-26-2005, 04:55 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
It's all about where the include is! *smacks self*

When I was first playing with this I had the include up in the top of the file where the button was. I was having trouble that it wouldn't recognize the buttonstyles...I got the black box that dc_roenfanz was describing. After seeing what he/she did to get it working (move the include into the inventory.xml) file, I tried moving it back up to the top of the market.xml file but before the opening page. This *does* work. It also has the benefit of keeping the number of modded files down. I was trying to stay away from modifying too high up in the heirarchy if I didn't absolutely need to.

I'm still having that flakey side issue where the title and close button don't show if they frame setting is used. I'll see if I can figure that out. Perhaps that has to do with include placement as well since the buttons are between those controls and the frame/backdrop controls.

Thanks dc_roenfanz and Kosmos for lookin at this. At least I'm back on track for the show stopper one.
I'm a HE
I didn't actually physically modify the main inventory page. It put itself there. LOL Don't ask me how. Title is working for me, frames on, btw. Honestly, I dont understand why your have the two buttons as totally seperate pages. Seems to me they would work just fine if you left them on the main page as a button. They would work the same, plus you could drop one of the parents.
Also, you might even be able to just add them as buttons to the regular market window. Instead of haveing SHOW bring up another window, just have SEARCH1 and SEARCH2 (or whatever you name it) Even LESS windows ^_^
Unread 04-26-2005, 07:04 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

Sure, I could put it all on the market, or all in the marketsearch. BUT, that increases the things that non-coders will see if they are going to modify the presets themselves. If I give someone one big file and tell them find this line (among other similar lines) and modify it...people will mess it up and I'll have 100 posts saying it doesn't work! If I use the sub files, I can put all the button code on one line, the onpress items each on their own line and easy to find. That way people who aren't coders but can edit a file will be able to use this mod.
Unread 04-26-2005, 07:45 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Sure, I could put it all on the market, or all in the marketsearch. BUT, that increases the things that non-coders will see if they are going to modify the presets themselves. If I give someone one big file and tell them find this line (among other similar lines) and modify it...people will mess it up and I'll have 100 posts saying it doesn't work! If I use the sub files, I can put all the button code on one line, the onpress items each on their own line and easy to find. That way people who aren't coders but can edit a file will be able to use this mod.
Thats logical enough.
Have you gotten this thing working (for you) again? Still having trouble?
Unread 04-27-2005, 12:27 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

I'm still testing. I may have been premature in saying it was the location of the includes. It seems that after changing the include location I have another interesting mystery. The mod works great on computer/character combos that haven't touched a "broken" version of the mod. But say my main character who's UI finally started saving the way I want...it's still misbehaving and giving that Usage" /tellchannel <chanelname. <<message>

If I rename my server_character_eq2_uisetting.ini file, log in, mod works great. *growl*

Somehow something is getting saved in that evil non-editable ini file that is interfering with the mod. I'll post more when I know more.

Hasn't anyone reverse engineered that damn server_character_eq2_uisetting.ini file yet!?!?!
Unread 04-27-2005, 10:18 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
I'm still testing. I may have been premature in saying it was the location of the includes. It seems that after changing the include location I have another interesting mystery. The mod works great on computer/character combos that haven't touched a "broken" version of the mod. But say my main character who's UI finally started saving the way I want...it's still misbehaving and giving that Usage" /tellchannel <chanelname. <<message>

If I rename my server_character_eq2_uisetting.ini file, log in, mod works great. *growl*

Somehow something is getting saved in that evil non-editable ini file that is interfering with the mod. I'll post more when I know more.

Hasn't anyone reverse engineered that damn server_character_eq2_uisetting.ini file yet!?!?!
Can you not just delete the ini file? I know you'll have to rearrange all your windows, but after that, they should save to the ini file, and everything should work. Is this correct, or am I babbling about nothing?