Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
ACT is not a client/server app like yours, it only runs locally. The paranoia is bigger when running closed source code which must establish a connection to a third party server on the Internet.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not accusing you of any malicious intent, and I wish you luck with your project!
That's technically not 100% true: ACT does interact with the internet to check for and (with your approval) download updates. But in any case, there's always a bit of uncertainty when it comes to executables. Heck, we still get folks coming here on occasion saying the EQ2MAP updater if a virus . The best thing is either open source (like we've mentioned) or just the slow growth of trust as folks use the program.

I'd actually like to make a suggestion as well: collections is a decent start, but from there I'd go to something like achievements rather than quests, that way your website offers a service that is not (to my knowledge) currently available elsewhere. That might help to drive traffic in your direction once you get things up and running =)