Thread: DeaDBeaT's UI
View Single Post
Unread 03-04-2009, 08:37 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown
Default the updater error!

(i've also posted this on the UI info page before coming here, so hit me for spamming :P)

the problem i'm encountering is basically that the installer wants to make a folder according to either EverQuest2.exe or EQ2.exe, and doesn't put the downloaded files into the UI folder.

due to having either an "EQ2.exe" or "EverQuest2.exe" already available for the game itself as an executable, the updater can't make the "folder/file" and gives you the error.

At least this is what i'm logically seeing whilst using the updater.

the steps i've taken to get past this issue:

1) I've renamed the exe to .bak and let the updater download everything.

2) i've selected everything from the folder created by the updater and cut and pasted it to the folder above combining it with the existing folders.

3) deleted the folder with the .exe in the name

4) renamed the EQ2/EverQuest2.exe.bak back to being an executable

5) ran the game and it was using deadbeats UI

however, the issue lies within the updater, and has to be resolved if the UI has to be kept on auto-update

i still had 1 question though, i've managed to install the UI finally, but do i need to use a certain code or something to get it the way its in the screenshot, since the default placement of the windows is just one big mess compared to the nice and tidy screenshot provided on the UI info page. (eq2 ui noob here :P)

edit: after thinking about it most of the time since posting the above, my thoughts kind of came to the conclusion that the updater isn't working as it should, since under xp it points to for example:

"C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\EQ2.exe"

and under vista (yes i have 2 computers running different OS)

"C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II"

Under XP i cant seem to make the install path to look the same as under vista, the updater simply pastes the .exe at the end of it. Which ultimately results in the program wishing to download the files to "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\EQ2.exe\..." (or whatever .exe is defined in the install path.

the strangeness however is that you would expect such idiot behaviour from vista and not xp