View Single Post
Unread 01-15-2005, 06:55 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Source code released.

I just released a new version that fixes the directory naming problem.

I have also released the source code for the tool and for the library I developed to analyze the EQ2 file format. There's a lot of interesting stuff in there, more than what the tool is currently using. If you take a look at the library source code you'll see it has classes that:
  • Help process VPL and VPK files, giving access to the packed files as if they were regular files on disk.
  • Parse the EQ2 scripts (.vdl) and convert them to XML so that they can be manipulated by the .NET XML classes.
  • Decode the format of every single type of asset EQ2 uses (zones, models, animations, particle systems, etc). This doesn't mean it knows how to display them, though

I'm trying to develop a library that can be used to help create viewers or format converters for things like models and animations. This might be of interest to someone who is coding a 3D engine and wants some great models to work with. I am in this situation

I'd like to start creating a viewer application that will let you see all those textures, models, animations, etc, that the tool unpacks; I think I'll learn a lot of stuff while coding it. It will take a while, though, so I urge everyone who is interested in something like this to go ahead and code something up themselves, using this library if they find it useful.

I will also try to start documenting the EQ2 file format, even though you can already learn a lot from the source code. There are things that are not that obvious looking at the source code, and an explanation is always welcome.