Thread: New Updater
View Single Post
Unread 02-21-2014, 04:01 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Everfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
The updater cannot find its basic settings while starting up. That can be because of two things:

It cannot access services/settings.zip anymore or it was deleted.

On launch files are copied to %temp%/.jpf-shadow and startup continues from there. Something might prevent it from writing to %temp%

I would guess your malware solutions are blocking access to the locations after they identify the updater as malware.

I would also strongly recommend to scan your system with a boot disk .

Ok now I know what is going on.

I would seem that possibly the temp folder in not a good place to keep .jpf-shadow. My securty and mantinance programs regularly clear out the temp folder of all trash and garbage. I am guessing that (.jpf-shadow) looks questionable and thus gets deleted.

Since .jpf-shadow is important and needed for the updater to work. Can it be put somplace less temporary, like the temp folder is ment to be. Since the temp folder is basicly a garbage can and should be regularly cleared out, the system temp folder might not be the best place to keep .jpf-shadow.

Oh and I did a full boot level scan and my systme is clean, no virus, no mallware, but when I did that the temp folder was once again cleared and the updater promptly stopped working again....

Last edited by Denavin : 02-21-2014 at 04:07 AM.