EQ2Interface

EQ2Interface (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/index.php)
-   EQ2MAP (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   why no world map update? (https://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7066)

DarkBobbie 11-16-2006 06:04 PM

why no world map update?

How come the world map is still the same as in release? I'm picky but i kinda like having it. :)

anfrey 11-20-2006 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBobbie
How come the world map is still the same as in release? I'm picky but i kinda like having it. :)

i was about to ask the same thing... i wanna see the continent of faydwer in my world map

Dolby 11-20-2006 02:50 PM

Its the least of my worries at the moment. If you want to submit the xml update for it go right ahead. :)

anfrey 11-20-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby
Its the least of my worries at the moment. If you want to submit the xml update for it go right ahead. :)

well... the image to use is %EQ2_FOLDER%\ui\default\images\maps\exp03_world_map.dds

for some reason eq2map is still using %EQ2_FOLDER%\ui\default\images\maps\world_map.dds for the worldmap...

even when DoF came out a year ago, eq2map never updated itself to use %EQ2_FOLDER%\ui\default\images\maps\exp01_world_map.dds instead of the original worldmap.

EDIT:
the fix for the image is as follows

in the file core_mapstyles.xml, line 751 reads as follows:
Code:

<ImageFrame Name="imageFrame" Source="images/maps/world_map.dds" SourceRect="0,0,436,506"/>
this should be updated to read:
Code:

<ImageFrame Name="imageFrame" Source="images/maps/exp03_world_map.dds" SourceRect="0,0,436,506"/>

this will require a new overlay, as well as the placement of continent names.

Dolby 11-20-2006 03:06 PM

Nope, there is xml for the continent names that needs to be updated as well.

anfrey 11-20-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Nope, there is xml for the continent names that needs to be updated as well.

i editted the post above with what should be the fix, at least for which image is displayed when in the world tab. now, time to look for the continent names part... can u point me in the right direction? i'm willing to spend this afternoon figuring it out and fixing it for everyone.

edit: i found the WORLDNAMES area in the default eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml file... shouldn't copying this entire area overwriting the previous worldnames info in the zones_world.xml file fix it? i'm currently making changes to my zones_world.xml file.. gonna go log on now and see if it works.

if it does work, i'll upload my updated zones_world.xml and core_mapstyles.xml here.

anfrey 11-20-2006 03:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok, my changes to these 2 files work perfectly. now to work on the overlay... i suck at graphics, i'll read up on some tuts on how to work with dds files in photoshop and get the world map overlay fixed.

attached are my fixed XML files.... and a screenshot proving it works :)

Dolby 11-20-2006 03:40 PM

Thanks for your help so far anfrey. :)

anfrey 11-20-2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your help so far anfrey. :)

not a problem. i understand u guys are real busy with changes to eq2map, reviewing new submissions, etc.... and with so many ppl bringing up this issue, i figured i'd take a crack at it :)

anfrey 11-20-2006 10:14 PM

ok, i lack a DDS plugin, and i still haven't figured out settings coords up... so someone else is gonna have to undertake making the overlay... unless ppl can be patient with me until i figure it out...

or better yet, someone teach me.

Faetyl 11-20-2006 11:26 PM

Are you using Photoshop Anfrey?
If so, nVidia has the plugin you need.

I also remember another author writing up a great how to on the site.

Will have to search for it if i get a chance since I'm hoping to get back into dds editing.

-edit-
http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...&highlight=dds
http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=31

I'll stop there.
Regardless, great info throughout the site.

gridvector 11-20-2006 11:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
If you guys give me the other zones connection info I will finish the overlay for you. Here it is so far.

Also let me know if you want any changes made.

world_map_overlay.dds

hmm guess I better include a non dds image too :)

Connection Layer: (jpeg looses transparency)

Compiled view:

DarkBobbie 11-21-2006 12:06 AM

Awesome guys thanks. :nana:

anfrey 11-21-2006 12:17 AM

faetyl: thanks for the links. i'll read and learn

gridvector: wow that looks good. now how the heck are we gonna draw lines from qeynos/freeport to ro?? and from nek/steppes to butcherblock? lol... so, does anyone know how to adjust and do the actual XML for the mouseovers? or are we good leaving this here and having it pushed on the autoupdater?

gridvector 11-21-2006 12:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I can just use a different color for the Qeynos/Freeport connection to Ro, and I can always put BB in th overlay even though it doesn't exist (as a label) on the map as an interim connection zone.

Maybe I will see if I can sneak a legend in there.

So to reiterate:

Connections between Q/FP to Ro
Add BB and connect between Nek/TS

anything else?

-- Added --

Here are the latest changes.

Note: The word "Butcherblock" is in the overlay but it is lost on the jpeg conversion.

gridvector 11-21-2006 02:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Made a variation to keep clean lines in the overlay:

anfrey 11-21-2006 02:19 AM

looks real good and a lot cleaner than i even expected lol... did you add butcherblock with XML in the zones_world.xml file to have it appear? if so, you should upload the new XML :)

lordebon 11-21-2006 10:51 AM

The colored boxes aren't on by default, right?

They make my eyes hurt, heh.

And we do need another color for the to BB, since it's a boat and not a bell.

Also, need a carpet line from BB to MajDul

EDIT: And man... Did SOE decide to shrink Faydwer or what? It's much bigger than it looks there =/

gridvector 11-21-2006 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this better?

lordebon 11-21-2006 11:32 AM

/claps

Beautiful! Now thats a World Map!

gm9 11-21-2006 11:48 AM

Much better, although personally I would prefer if you removed the boxes entirely, since I do not think that they are needed.

Some corrections:

* Remove the line from EL to LS.
* Add a line from Nek to LS.

Technically you would need to add lines from FP and Qeynos to TS and Nek as well (I am not sure whether you can still take the boat ride to the other zones from the cities, I think it was removed, right?).

And you forgot to set the ShadowStyle for the text "Butcherblock". Personally I would remove the Butcherblock text since you do not (and should not) list "Sinking Sands" on Ro either (or any of the other overland zones on Faydwer, or Rivervale, etc.).

gridvector 11-21-2006 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So more like this?

Once the connections are good we can see what the populous wants in the way of boxes or lack thereof.

gm9 11-21-2006 12:51 PM

That one is great in my view!

It does not yet have the bells from FP and Qeynos to TS and Nek, respectively (the ones that cost 60s per ride), not sure if you can reasonably fit them in there however.

gridvector 11-21-2006 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok comments, additions, subtractions?

anfrey 11-21-2006 01:35 PM

where's the bell w/ ticket from qeynos to steppes... and from freeport to nek?