Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Dev Shack

Closed Thread
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
There are other bits of functionality that will happen automatically like displaying quest POI's and regions in the mini-map.
Woohoo! So this mean that we can have POis show up on the map only for quests we are currently tracking?
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Hmm, interesting. I like the F10 ability to move locked windows, that's a nice change. A lot of the other stuff I'll have to see to really form an opinion.

I did like having the clock window separate from the mini-map (I generally have the clock up, but the mini-map I do not always use).

Inventory being merged into the persona window could be ok, as long as the hotkey for inventory still jumps right to that tab and the persona hotkey to the stats tab -- if that's not the case, then I will not like that change at all (both, inventory especially, are used enough that adding another click is not something I'd like to see).

I do like idea of the improved tutorial system, IMHO that's something EQ2's needed for better accessibility to new players for a while now.

Oh, and a big /thumbsup for auto-displaying quest POIs and support for regions of interest. Any chance of getting us a sneak-peak on how you're going to do that so we can work on any changes on our backend?
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:13 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Quote:
The hotbar windows have been cleaned up so they now default to the original icon size which makes them look sharper. We've removed 2pixels of padding from around the icons that didn't really have any purpose. The customizable padding value is still there. We've also added a right-hand grab handle which balances with the spinner control on the left and makes it easy to move the hotbar. If you turn off the spinner, the grab handle will hide as well.
One thing about the hotbars: I and a lot of the people I know have the spinner hidden to stop us from accidentally hitting it and switching the contents of the hotbar. What'd be nice is, instead of using "hide spinner" to get that, if we had a toggleable (possibly by a key) setting for "lock contents of all hotbars" that'd prevent any changing of the hotbar number and prevent switching of the shift/control/alt key assignment. In short, some way to say "I've got the icons in my hotbars where I want them. DO NOT TOUCH, and don't let me touch, unless I specifically tell you I want to mess with them again.".
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:24 PM
A Griffon
Yes this person is from Daybreak!

The equipment slots and character stats are on the same page in the new Character Window. This will allow you to swap gear around and see how it affects your stats without having to jump around between tabs. However, we did change the window so that you only get 1 column of stats instead of two otherwise the window would have just been too wide. However, I think we made good use of that space.

We also did away with the "Details" tab and moved that data to either the Options tab or the Stats tab.

We hope that the mini-map will be useful enough that players will start wanting to have it up all the time. Now that it will display quest POI's and regions, you may want to make this a permanent part of your UI unless you don't do much raiding.

The POI and Region information will happen automatically. If the quest is in your Active Quest list, the data will appear on the map.

I forgot to mention that the Welcome screen and Marketplace have also seen an overhaul.

Here's a little sneak peak of the character window.

Unread 07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

it all sounds and looks good. thanks for keeping us informed.
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
The POI and Region information will happen automatically. If the quest is in your Active Quest list, the data will appear on the map.

I forgot to mention that the Welcome screen and Marketplace have also seen an overhaul.

Here's a little sneak peak of the character window.

Ah, glad to hear the marketplace got an overhaul, it's needed it.
I see what you mean with the character window, that's not so bad.

Re: the POIs, my question was how will the client know which EQ2MAP POIs go with which quests?
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:44 PM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf

Are these changes already on test?
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
Are these changes already on test?
Just the spell window I believe.
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:49 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
Ah, glad to hear the marketplace got an overhaul, it's needed it.
I see what you mean with the character window, that's not so bad.

Re: the POIs, my question was how will the client know which EQ2MAP POIs go with which quests?
It doesn't show EQ2Map POI's. The map draws either a POI dot or Region based on data associated with the quest. Not every quest in the game will have the data to begin with, but many will.

We are shooting for a Test update next Tuesday which will include all of the UI enhancements.
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:53 PM
A man among men

Will we get a new UIBuilder version update? Also please tell us, is the map window finally circular??!
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:01 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
It doesn't show EQ2Map POI's. The map draws either a POI dot or Region based on data associated with the quest. Not every quest in the game will have the data to begin with, but many will.

We are shooting for a Test update next Tuesday which will include all of the UI enhancements.
When you first announced this I cringed because I'm a very picky player. One of the biggest things that has kept me in EQ2 is the fact I have my UI exactly like I like it. Then you posted this Character Screen shot and I can live with that. I was dreading the change because I use dragowulf's inventory window (had to do some changes and of course being noob at this stuff asked TalTal to make them then was able to see what was done and make some more) and couldn't bare the thought of losing that but this looks good too. I am sure my colors will carry over etc or will get updated to carry over the profitui blue color.

Anyway Hotbars and such and the XP window still have me concerned hopefully the custom one I have from EliteUI a few updates ago will still function. Losing the compass/clock since I never run with mini map up will be a change might be able to find a place to put that dreaded minimap up and still keep a good feel for me.

Yes I play "them other games" and currently in beta for LOTR which I hate the UI and every custom UI I have found for that game so far. Seems theres this shortcut keys that display when you open inventory and if you drag an item to it you get icons behind your chat box etc. Haven't found a way to move that dang window so its off to my side or something and nobody answers in the game

So it keeps me from playing.
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
Will we get a new UIBuilder version update? Also please tell us, is the map window finally circular??!
One of them things I speak about in my post above. I don't want to see a circular dang map window like them other games. AoC/LOTR/War I hated all those games for how there UI was setup.
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:

Ah, gotcha. A little bit disappointed since you're keeping it internal, but at least it'll let us clean up the quest POIs for those that have the filtered POIs/regions. Plus it'll be nice for folks that use the default map rather than EQ2MAP.
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:27 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
Ah, gotcha. A little bit disappointed since you're keeping it internal, but at least it'll let us clean up the quest POIs for those that have the filtered POIs/regions. Plus it'll be nice for folks that use the default map rather than EQ2MAP.
I hope it doesn't seem like our intent was to keep it internal or edge out eq2maps because that's certainly not the case. Our designers just needed to be able to specify the location or region for a quest to be completed. Most of this data we were able to pull from our own designer data. It was really important that we create a solution that would be available for new players from the time they start even if they don't install any custom ui's. We will always be interested in finding ways for third-party ui's to bring value.

I don't know if anything major changed with ui builder but i can make sure the latest version gets published.
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:36 PM
A man among men

Any new or changed DynamicData? Is there DynamicData for the effects windows now?
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:57 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

I just need one option to :

Scale UI with high Resolution like 1680 X 1050

Its really hard for me to read small fonts of the journal and quest tracker and some other windows .

And also Target window is very small with that resolution
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:04 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Some of the window consolidation things I like, but I hope stuff like the clock/compass window can still be modified to be kept separate. I personally wouldn't want anything attached to my minimap window. It's a minimalistic window and that's why I think it works so well being open all the time.

Anyhow, thanks for the update head's up. I don't think I really like the new "red" skin color, but I'm sure everyone will have their own opinions.
I'll take this time to backup the current UI files and such

I'm sad to still not see anything about UI windows being able to save custom values (properties) still....
But I guess if Lua ever comes around, it would hopefully make it possible.

Currently still using the Map POI function to save data to a "fake" map POI file for saved config properties.

Last edited by Drumstix42 : 07-21-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:07 AM
A Griffon

Server: Butcherblock
Default oh dear :-(

I like the sound of a lot of these changes Rothgar some great things here but my fear is I am a Profit user and from my best (uneducated) guess most everything in profit that updates such as health bar, power, etc... runs thru the clock so it is constatly being refreshed.

With GM9 in retirement I am in fear of the beloved profit ui going down into the relm of the forgotten. I know there are others on here who say that profit will not die but if they are not able to make the repairs to the ui then what? I know I am by far NOT a programming guru, I do pretty good at cut & paste simple tasks but that is about the extent of my knowledge. I added a few buttons to my banker window and my market popup_setprice but that is as cool as I get when it comes to programming.

Excited but worried,

James

P.S. I am also not a big fan of the clock/compass being added to the mini-map but perhaps a screenshot of that would help to ease the tension a bit. :-) ( I currently have my Compass/clock top and center for quick-easy viewing while my mini-map is top right. (See Attached Screenshot)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ2_000263.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	7345  

Last edited by Jamesc146 : 07-22-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: P.S.
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:37 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via Yahoo to TalTal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Some of the window consolidation things I like, but I hope stuff like the clock/compass window can still be modified to be kept separate.
<SNIP>
I hope so as well.Can you chime in on this Rothgar?

Silat
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM
A man among men

I have always felt that the amount of game windows and lack of consolidation has decreased immersion immensely. Hopefully that is a reason for UI changes as well as the need for some change. I am sure the new producer really pushed these changes as a new player.
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:49 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalTal View Post
I hope so as well.Can you chime in on this Rothgar?

Silat
The compass window has been left alone, but its no longer visible by default (when you create a new character). However, the clock window is gone since it was added to the mini-map.

We really wanted to consolidate more windows and we contemplated removing the compass window, but since the compass functionality wasn't replicated exactly, we decided to leave it but turn it off. For new players, the mini-map will be visible and it has North, South, East, West indicators on it. So if a player needs to go north, he can tell just by looking at the direction he is running on the map.

The clock and titlebar on the mini map take up very little room, but if you want to go back to a no-frills map, you can hide the titlebar and frame via the Window Settings.

While SmokeJumper was definitely on board with these changes, we've been planning on doing a UI revamp for several years now. There's still plenty more I'd like to do with the UI, but this was about all we could squeeze in for GU57.
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Most of the changes so far are similar to warhammer's stuff. I love the quest regions in that game, and if it is similar, then I'd say that its a great change.

The tutorial splash screens in war are well done too, i watched them for two of the 'trial' characters that i made and then turned them off.

I hope the clock isn't going to blend too well in with the map as it is the MOSt important element in the UI to me and its why I can't play the other games, because they don't have a clock in default, and it drives me buggy.

I want to reiterate the spin lock on hotbars. I have several hotbars, but only one that I want to be able to spin.
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Thanks again for the personal response, Rothgar. I actually really dig the N,S,E,W just being on the minimap. Makes sense

I'm sure some will find the changes strange or "scary" , but I think most will come to like them in time. There's always user modification for everything else.

But I hope this does lead to more updates after GU57. Though I hope some of these "planned changes" don't have to wait for a Game Update to make it either to test or live!
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

How about the ability to right-click any hotbutton and 'Set Keybinding'? Instead of...

Escape > Options > Controls > Hotbar Keys > *scrolling down... scrolling down... oh crap, which button # was it??... counting across the hotbar.... falls asleep...*

Also, I set some keybinds to numpad keys and the text on the button is so long it cuts into all of the adjacent buttons texts. Maybe "<Numpad 6>" could just be "NP6"? I guess I could make my hotbars really big though >.>

Oh, and... *cough*click-casting*cough*. Seriously.

Last edited by Chaws : 07-22-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
I hope it doesn't seem like our intent was to keep it internal or edge out eq2maps because that's certainly not the case. Our designers just needed to be able to specify the location or region for a quest to be completed. Most of this data we were able to pull from our own designer data. It was really important that we create a solution that would be available for new players from the time they start even if they don't install any custom ui's. We will always be interested in finding ways for third-party ui's to bring value.

I don't know if anything major changed with ui builder but i can make sure the latest version gets published.
Yeah I see the reasons behind using internal data for it (certainly simplifies things a bit). Would I be correct in assuming that each quest would have only a single (or few) POIs or ROIs? IE, if a quest had a large number of spawn points for the update, it would be shown as a ROI instead of a large number of individual POIs? I think that's one of the main draws I can see.

The main reason I ask is that there are some things that don't have official maps that would benefit from ROIs and POI filtering.