EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 12-13-2004, 01:35 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Unclear on the concept

May I ask a favor, please? I am completely unclear on the concept of customizable UIs and the way they work. If I had an understanding of the basic mechanics perhaps I could be able to reconfigure my game to a point that would be both efficient and enjoyable.

I see interfaces, complete and partial, pieces and parts of an individual whole that I have to assemble myself, but I am stuck.

Please forgive the non-geek questions, but I have to ask:

Code:
cl_ui_skinname custom
cl_ui_subdir UI/
Does what?

Code:
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\Custom
is a file that I have to create in order for the first code to work?

--- and here is the part that is really confusing me... If I wanted to JUST install the fancy exp bar into my default UI, I download it into the custom file all by itself? What about all the other files? Does the game seek out the default files first and then replace them with customs, or do I have to copy the complete Default file and then change the ones that I want changed???!!

Shadoerider has written that his (self made) eq2.ini file file looks like this:

Code:
cl_ui_subdir UI/
cl_ui_skinname EQ2Interface
cl_ui_skinname statbar
cl_ui_skinname QuestJournal
Am I seeing that his UI is going to access 3 files for each game? Shouldn't the statbar and questjournal be inside the eq2interface skin?

As you can see, I am unclear on the concept. I would appreciate a generic overview of how this all ties together so that I can, as I said, piece together an interface that is both entertaining and efficient.

Thank you.
Unread 12-13-2004, 02:01 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Mistmoore

I'm not totally clear on all of this EQ2 interface stuff either, but I will try to answer your questions for you (and hopefully somebody can correct me if I'm wrong!)

Quote:
Code:
cl_ui_skinname custom
cl_ui_subdir UI/

Does what?
This code should be in a file called EQ2.ini which will be located in your Everquest2 directory (folder). This will tell the game to load any UI files located in the Custom folder right at the start of the game.

Quote:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\Custom

is a file that I have to create in order for the first code to work?
The Custom should be a folder that you create, not a file. I think that is what you ment, but I didn't want anyone else confused.

Quote:
--- and here is the part that is really confusing me... If I wanted to JUST install the fancy exp bar into my default UI, I download it into the custom file all by itself? What about all the other files? Does the game seek out the default files first and then replace them with customs, or do I have to copy the complete Default file and then change the ones that I want changed???!!

Shadoerider has written that his (self made) eq2.ini file file looks like this:

Code:
cl_ui_subdir UI/
cl_ui_skinname EQ2Interface
cl_ui_skinname statbar
cl_ui_skinname QuestJournal

Am I seeing that his UI is going to access 3 files for each game? Shouldn't the statbar and questjournal be inside the eq2interface skin?
Shadoerider is actually incorrect in the way he tried to put 3 different modifications together. Instead of having 3 cl_ui_skinname commands, he needs to put all of his modification in 1 folder and then call that one folder...so it should look like your first question code. Any file that isn't modified (or located in your custom folder) will be pulled from the Default folder. So you shouldn't have to copy everything over.

Hope this helped...Good Luck!

Last edited by forry : 12-13-2004 at 05:30 PM.