EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-03-2007, 12:09 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost
Default Musings on the Future of the Info Center....

A little more than a year ago, two major factors prompted me to create the Milquetowst Info Center. First, some of the info I wanted to be able to access wasn't readily available, and second, I hated having to go out of the game to look things up. (I don't like playing in windowed mode.)

Obviously, with GU32's working browser window, the second consideration is no longer relevant.

GU32 only went live two days ago, but already, several people have suggested to me that the Info Center should be moved or copied to a Web site. I really have no interest in doing so. I don't want to create yet another EQ2 Web site, and frankly don't see the need for one. In fact, my own thoughts are running in the opposite direction completely. Now that the existing Web sites can be easily accessed from within the game, much of the Info Center's content has become redundant.

Certainly, some of the Info Center's content is still useful, either because it still isn't readily available elsewhere, or because I just happen to have put it together in a better format than anyone else.

But much of it is really no longer necessary. What real purpose is served now by the relative handful of quest walk-thrus, at least some of which I know are out of date, when it's suddenly become quite simple from within the game to access sites with *hundreds* of up-to-date quest walk-thrus?

I think the time has come for me to "switch gears," so to speak. Up 'til now, I've been trying to put more and more stuff into the Info Center. Now, I think it's time to start paring it down again, and get rid of stuff that's readily accessible in the same (or superior) form elsewhere.

I certainly wouldn't mind not having to feel guilty any more for spending time *playing* instead of updating walk-thrus that I don't have a personal need for at the moment, anyway.

OK, I know this is rambling a bit, but what I'm really looking for, I guess, is some feedback regarding what should stay and what should go. I know what information *I* tend to reference the most, but I've no idea what others find most useful.

-- Darryl (Milquetowst)