EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 01-25-2007, 01:09 PM
A Berserk Golem

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Headset vs Speakers

I've got a strange problem. My headset will not work no matter where I set my defaults to 'headphones'. However, if I unplug the headset's black plug from my SB back panel OR my MB back panel and plug it into my speaker EVERYTHING changes so that I can't use my speakers ever again but the headset WILL work. I installed the SB card hoping to solve the problem but guess what? It's still here. How can I set up my system so that I can switch back and forth between headset and speakers, and how do I get the headset to work just to begin with?

Sacraed,
Befallen Server,
Unread 01-25-2007, 01:20 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

I had the same problem and the most simple solution for me was to buy a Y adapter from Radio Shack. I pluged it into the location for the main speakers then pluged the speaker cord and the headphones into it. I keep all my settings for windows and games as if I don't even have headphones. This allows me to simply put my headphones on when I want to without having to change anything.

Not sure if this will help your particular situation but it's worth considering.
Unread 01-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Freeport Pizza Delivery
Featured

Server: Unrest

I am a HUGE advocate of USB headsets.

Reasons being:
1.) Simply plug in and it works (You may have to choose the headset depending on what you plan to use it with, but other than that it just doesn't get any simpler.)
2.) With a USB headset, the soundcard is built into the headset. This means you can have your game sound go through your speakers and have teamspeak, ventrillo, or other programs use your headset.
3.) Voice recognition has always been better with USB (in my opinion)
4.) In line mute button is digital so usually works way better than the analog version. This also makes the need to use "push to talk" a thing of the past. (Setup voice recognition then just use the in line mute button when you wish to chat or not.)

My personal favorite headets are from www.plantronics.com although i'm sure there are better.

-Edit-
This site is pretty darn good for finding deals...
www.pricegrabber.com
Just type in "plantronics dsp"
I purchased (2) DSP 300's for a combined price of $51 (Including shipping)
Forums

Got Guild?

"Always code as if the person who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."

Last edited by Faetyl : 01-29-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Unread 01-26-2007, 01:02 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Venekor

I went USB and I can never go back when it come to headsets. You pay a little more but it is well worth the price.
Unread 01-26-2007, 01:21 AM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Now see, where were you guys when I started a thread on the EQ2 boards asking which was better? The only real response that I got was that I didn't really need USB unless I wanted Digital output and that it wasn't really needed for playing EQ2 and using Teamspeak. Therefore, I saved the money.

Having said that, I do in fact really like the headsets that I got. They work really well for the $25 a piece that I paid for them and I don't have any complaints. Although some of those USB features mentioned do sound rather nice.
Unread 01-26-2007, 07:47 AM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Everfrost

My MB has a cheapo sound card built into it, but I already owned a soundblaster card of some kind and put that in to hook up the speakers.

Later, when I wanted to use teamspeak in EQ2, I just turned on the cheap motherboard one in the BIOS and use that just for TS/Vent. It's so nice having the two seperated.
'Tetht the printhiple, tetht the printhiple,' muttered Igor. 'Thorry, thur, but Igorth do not "tetht the printhiple". Thtrap it to the bench and put a good thick bolt of lightning through it, thatth our motto. Thatth how you tetht thomething.'
Unread 01-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

I love my USB headset. I still use PTT (the little mute button isn't as convenient for me) but w/ the USB headset I can play music over ventrilo using my sound card while listening to it and speaking (without echo!) on vent too.