EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 03-03-2007, 08:10 AM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Can UI mods be done in Vista

Alright so i am feeling a little dumb for Upgrading to vista but anyway. After getting all my hardrive wiped from the upgrade disc i got all my old UI mods back when i tired to change from Default UI to the new ones it would not let me save, i used notepad first it said the directory path is wrong. Then i tired with Wordpad after saving says access denied witch makes me think M$ is blocking any kind of add on or something... I am really pissed off because this is hindering my play experience.... I decided to try Thor UI cause i thought since it has a auto loader it might bypass anything the OS is stopping but again now i can't even log in to character select screen it stops right when the updating starts it stops from downloading?
Unread 03-03-2007, 10:04 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Toxxulia

You have to open the windows file explorer as ADMINISTRATOR even IF you are logged in as the admin on the account.

Basically, if you have seen the Mac commercial where the computer keeps asking the user are you sure you want to grant access to ........ And the commercial gets factitious in the things it asks access to. Vista's security controls now seem to have you granting rights every time you breathe.

SO, in other words, just right click on the explorer and tell it run as administrator rights. Also, you do the same for wordpad/notepad. Then you should be able to control the file editing/replacing as you are want.

Also, EQ2, MUST be run via the same RIGHT CLICK ADMIN routine, or you will crash out upon loading to the zone.
Unread 03-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Skinning Guru
Premium Member
Featured

Server: Guk

..And that is the very same reason I will not even touch Vista with a 10-ft pole.

Drakah

shakahr.com
Remember...it is only a GAME
Unread 03-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

Same here Drakah, even though I have a copy of it setting right here, I installed XP pro in my new system. There just isn't enough support to justify installing it right now IMO. Three of four months from now, I'll prob be installing it. But untill then XP pro may not be as Blingish as Vista but it works

Speaking of new system wow I had by doubts but this 8800gtx rocks. Now off to rerout all my wires now that every thing works:P
Unread 03-06-2007, 09:23 PM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen
Default Disagree

Vista does have many many problems but you can turn all that stuff off. It's called UAC, you turn it off and it wont ask you stupid questions. All games, programs, etc, have worked for me. EQ2, UIBuilder, all Steam games I have, as well as programs, Cinema 4d, 3ds Max, Photoshop cs2, Hammer, everything.

For EQ2 I don't see any performance issuues, I turn off all visual themes, and run through Service Pack 2. I do not have to run as admin.

People are really bashing Vista, when they haven't tried it and figure it out.

It's alright, I have Vista Ultimate. It pretty much like XP but is more protective.
Unread 03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
A man among men

Quote:
Originally Posted by depechenode
You have to open the windows file explorer as ADMINISTRATOR even IF you are logged in as the admin on the account.

Basically, if you have seen the Mac commercial where the computer keeps asking the user are you sure you want to grant access to ........ And the commercial gets factitious in the things it asks access to. Vista's security controls now seem to have you granting rights every time you breathe.

SO, in other words, just right click on the explorer and tell it run as administrator rights. Also, you do the same for wordpad/notepad. Then you should be able to control the file editing/replacing as you are want.

Also, EQ2, MUST be run via the same RIGHT CLICK ADMIN routine, or you will crash out upon loading to the zone.
I didnt do the right click admin routine and it works for me fine.

And you can turn of the "grant me access from hell" feature easily.

I'm beginning to think you don't have Vista.
Unread 03-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Yeah same here.

I run Vista x32 and every thing is fine. I have yet to be required to right click something and choose run as admin.

I edit ui xml, i run command prompt bat files that do compares on the xml, i also program the sites in php and all those tools work great.

Is it maybe a x32 vs x64 thing? I would hope not because I want to upgrade to x64 soon (once all my drivers I need are ready). The only other thing is maybe its because I have EQ2 Installed in a location other then Program Files?
Unread 03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
A man among men

Naw it's not that Dolby. My files are installed C/Program Files and I have 2 systems running vista ultimate, one is x64 and the other is x32, both have no problems. xml, wordpad, notepad and everything works fine.
Unread 03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf
I didnt do the right click admin routine and it works for me fine.

And you can turn of the "grant me access from hell" feature easily.

I'm beginning to think you don't have Vista.

I have Vista Home Premium and frankly I did not disable the UAC.
I know you can, but for those that do not want to... you have to right click as I stated. but YES, I HAVE VISTA.. what is your point? Because I choose not to disable the UAC = I don't have Vista.. kinda pointless your comment.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myvista.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	5669  

Last edited by depechenode : 03-06-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Unread 03-06-2007, 11:23 PM
A man among men

Ahh, I thought you didn't. Sorry about that, didn't need to get all hurt.

Anyways, yeah I disabled all that stuff, and it works almost the same as XP.

I don't know anybody who wants UAC on. That is the most annoying feature of Vista, besides the "Security" task for updates or whatever on the bottem right corner.
Unread 03-07-2007, 04:35 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf
Ahh, I thought you didn't. Sorry about that, didn't need to get all hurt.

Anyways, yeah I disabled all that stuff, and it works almost the same as XP.

I don't know anybody who wants UAC on. That is the most annoying feature of Vista, besides the "Security" task for updates or whatever on the bottem right corner.
NP Drago.

aye I agree. But set aside the UAC, Vista is pretty cool, and I have no issues with it at.
Unread 03-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Yes I don't have it install but the copy I got is the 64bit version and like I said a lot of issues right now with drivers being ready for it.

How ever after reading all of you guys post I ordered a copy of vista home 32bit to use. And if I have issues, I will hunt each and ever one of you down and give you a nuggie(sp).. lol
Unread 03-08-2007, 01:19 AM
A Griffon

I have the 64 bit sitting here, but due to driver issues, i am waiting a few months. 32 bit is stable imho. But 64 bit has some compatibility issues so I will wait and install soon.
Unread 03-08-2007, 03:19 AM
Co-Founder
Premium Member

If you move the Sony Folder into something such as C:\Game Files\Sony instead of in the program files you will find that you do not have to give permission all the time and/or run very often as administrator (have had to do it once for an update)

the Program Files folder is *extra* protected and moving items such as Game Files out of it will prevent a lot of headaches.

As a side note many new games (such as LOTRO) actually save all the configuration files outside the program files folder just to prevent this (it makes a LOTRO file in you "my documents")

Try moving it and see what happens.

PS. I beleive the Launcher still wants to be in the Program Files\Sony folder so it may patch itself back, but the game will run fine outside the Program Files.
Unread 03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
aka Mook

Server: Nektulos

Indeed, DAoC also made a recent change to save certain files in Documents and Settings so it would run in Vista.

I personally save everything to a second drive/partition anyway so I can reformat without losing anything. Program Files is only for things that would need to be re-installed anyway like Adobe Reader and some drivers.
Unread 03-08-2007, 12:11 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbane27
Indeed, DAoC also made a recent change to save certain files in Documents and Settings so it would run in Vista.

I personally save everything to a second drive/partition anyway so I can reformat without losing anything. Program Files is only for things that would need to be re-installed anyway like Adobe Reader and some drivers.
I do the exact same thing. EQ is on a dedicated harddrive. Vista is on a 10,000RPM Raptor drive by itself. Everything else is installed on another dedicated drive.
Unread 03-24-2007, 01:25 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

OK so you guys talked me into getting a OEM copy of vista home 32 and installing it.. WOW pretty OS.. Every thing works I do have to say that but..

The only issue I have and it's a big issue to me; is I am stuck at a max res of 1024x768 FTW! Under XP could use up to 1600x1024. My monitor is a 19" with a default res of 1280x1024, If vista would of set the max res to that I could understand but no. My icons are so HUDGE I have to take out my contacts lol.. (j/k)

system:

MB: EVGA NF68 Sli (p25 bios) (nforce_680i_sli_winvista32_15.00_english_whql diver) (Vista_R162 HD on board sound driver)
CPU: intel E6700
Ram: 2G AData 800
Video: BFG 8800GTX OC (101.41_winvista_32bit_english beta driver)

I've search the Internet till I am blue in the face. But that don't take long when you are connected at 64k lol:/

I've about decided it's the video drivers because I just tried windows default vga driver and I could once again drive the res up but no DX support:/ boo..

So if any one has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them as I kind of like vista but will have to reinstall XP if I can get a higher res to work.
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:41 PM
A man among men

My screen is also 19' landiin. I suggest you right click your desktop and go to veiw->classic icons

default 1280x1024 for me

vista ultimate x32

EDITh ya, go to you nvidia site and download their recent drivers, the default xp one sucked so i did that.
Unread 03-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

I just wish it would let me do 1280x1024 but the 8800 is not letting it go higher the 1024x768. It seems (kind of guessing) that the driver reads EIDS(?) of the monitor and well I guess mine don't report so it just assumes that it is a 16" and sets max res to 1024x768 instead of the 1280x1024 native res.

In XP it seems that the driver read the monitor driver but the vista drivers read from the monitor it self. Guess that's what I get for getting a cheap one but /shrug.

Tinking with powerstrip now my have to mod the video bios /shug I hope not lol.
Unread 03-25-2007, 02:14 AM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Ug, there isn't any way to force it to a particular resolution? That's what happens when your operating system decides it knows what you want better than you do!