Thread: Guild Wars
View Single Post
Unread 05-02-2005, 08:01 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

Kosmos I feel your pain as well. I feel that MMORPG has really become cookie cutter and the games that advertise unique characters and experiences really should get out Webster's and look up the word. I fail to see how anyone can create a unique experience while clearly copying the experience from another game. Let's not forget of course the obvious, copying the experience from some particular author's book.

The irony in the whole situation is that a lot of game are trying to make the game immersive by mimicking real life while every constraint they put in the game is adverse to real life. They have left out the core human tendencies for invention, diversity, self improvement, etc. For example where do magic spells come from? Seems like some person would have had to study and determine how to affect the magic effects desired, most likely through trial and error. Here you go, you magically infer some sculpted spell based on your class, presumably based on being trained by someone else. While I appreciate the complexity of attempting to create a unique experience to incorporate human ingenuity while attempting to balance gameplay so it is fun for everyone it seems that no one is particularly interested in even trying.

Then there are the restrictions. In real life there are no such restrictions, if you are puny you work out. If you work out you have less time to study. Ok I understand these rules but you can decide. These things are not decided for you. Growth based on what you do, not what you are supposed to do also seems to be lacking seriously in MMORPG.

These aren't even unique ideas (yes I see the irony) there are non MMORPG type games that introduce these concepts. And why not, these concepts are modeled on real life. There are many ideas that I have that I can proudly say are truly unique. I might grasp on to them while entertaining the true fantasy that I might some day be able to introduce them to people in game format. Anyone have a pile of money sitting around? I bet there are enough developers without game experience that have some naive notions as to what a game engine can be.